Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What are the health requirements for post-secondary school attendance in Hawaiʻi?

The Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules, Chapter 11-157 require all students to meet immunization and tuberculosis clearance requirements before they attend post-secondary school in the state. For information about these requirements, see the Post-Secondary Schools: Important Notice to Students and Immunization Requirements Summary.

When are the health clearance requirements due?

All students entering post-secondary school in Hawaiʻi for the first time must have met immunization requirements by the first day of the semester. Please allow 1-2 weeks after submission for processing. Please note that students will not be allowed to attend classes face to face or hybrid classes until they meet the health clearance requirements. *If you wish to register for face to face or hybrid classes, make sure to submit your health clearances before your registration date so you can register for these classes in STAR.

What health records are required?

  • Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance
  • 2 doses of the Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
  • Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (Tdap)
  • 2 doses of the Varicella
Evidence of immunization for Meningococcal Conjugate (MCV) is also required for students who are 21 years or younger and who will be living in on-campus housing for the first time.

Where do I obtain a copy of my health records?

Students should obtain the record from their healthcare provider. In some cases students may be able to access this information from their electronic health records. Recent high school graduates may also submit their high school record of health clearances which will suffice if it reports all the necessary information for all of the required vaccinations.

What if I am transferring from another state or territory of the U.S.?

The university will accept out-of-state records that meet the State of Hawaiʻi requirements for immunizations, and tuberculosis clearance. Health clearance requirements vary from state to state. You will need to show proof that the health requirements have been met prior to attendance. Please submit documentation of immunizations signed by a US provider to show compliance with the State of Hawaiʻi requirements.

What document(s) can I submit?

  • Immunization records from your healthcare provider, public health department, or state immunization registry, or
  • Copy of your childhood immunization records, or
  • Copy of your military immunization record

For military records, if I have a record that says "indefinite" for MMR, etc., would this be acceptable?

Yes. As long as it notes complete dates (month/day/year). Per 11-157-3.05 Documentation of immunizations (b) Documentation of immunizations shall include the complete date (recorded as month/day/year) the vaccine was administered. An immunization record without complete dates may be accepted…if it can be determined that each vaccination complied with the minimum interval and age requirements.

However, please note, that if military records includes a titer for MMR, this is not acceptable per the Department of Health’s Immunization Requirements.

Is DTap the same as Tdap?

No, it is not the same. DTaP is administered to children less than 7 years of age (i.e., usually administered to infants with series completion prior to Kindergarten entry). Tdap is a different vaccine that is administered to persons >7 years of age (usually administered to adolescents 11-12 years of age along with HPV and MCV).

Are titers allowed for MMR and/or VC?

No. See:, Table 6 (excerpted below). Serologic evidence of immunity is permitted for measles and rubella but NOT for mumps. Note, there is no single antigen mumps vaccine available so persons would need to receive MMR vaccine anyway. Serologic evidence of immunity is not permitted for Varicella.

Excerpt from Table 6:

Documentation of serologic evidence of immunity
• Serologic evidence of immunity may be substituted for a record of immunizations for diphtheria, tetanus, hepatitis A, measles, or rubella (ACIP’s General Best Practice Guidelines for Immunization:
• Documentation must include a laboratory report, signed by a practitioner, certifying that the student is immune to the named disease(s).

• Students born in the United States prior to 1980: varicella vaccination not required
• A signed, documented diagnosis or verification of a history of varicella disease or herpes zoster by a practitioner may be substituted for a record of varicella vaccination

Can the health form be signed by a Pharmacist?

If immunization is received at a Pharmacy, the Department of Health recommends that you take the immunization card to your physician to verify the information and certify (sign) the UH Health Clearance Form OR if you do not have a physician, you can upload your documentation to Med+Proctor and one of their APRNʻs can review and verify the information for you.

How do I contact support for Med+Proctor?

You may contact MedProctor between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday. You may also reach a representative by email at: MedProctor also offers LiveChat services Monday-Friday 8am-5pm CST.

I am having difficulty uploading my documents. What tips do you have?

You may simply take a picture of the immunization form and upload it through your mobile device. OR you may save a scanned image of the form to your computer and upload.
Med+Proctor will not accept a word document.

If you are having trouble uploading your records, view the tutorial How to Upload Your Immunization Records to MP

What if I donʻt have a phone or computer to upload a photo of my health clearance? What should I do?

If you donʻt have access to a phone with a camera or a computer where you can scan the documents, you may work with your home campus admissions and or registrarʻs office to have your forms uploaded to Med+Proctor.

For more information on Frequently Asked Questions, you may visit Med+Proctorʻs FAQ site: