Administrative Procedure 8.851 Administrative Procedure 8.851


Employee Out-of-State and Intra-State Travel


Administrative Procedure Chapter 8, Business and Finance
Administrative Procedure AP 8.851, Employee Out-of-State and Intra-State Travel
Effective Date:  November 2021
Prior Dates Amended:  May 2018, September 2001, April 2011, March 2016, February 2017    
Responsible Office: Office of the Vice President for Budget and Finance/Chief Financial Officer
Governing Board and/or Executive Policy: RP 8.208, Travel; EP 8.208, Travel 
Review Date:  November 2024

I. Purpose

To provide travel guidelines and procedures for University employees and affiliates under the authority of the Board of Regents Policy 8.208, and in accordance with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requirements and collective bargaining agreements.

II. Definitions

A.  Federal Allowable Rate (FAR) - The maximum allowable rate for Per Diem (Lodging and M&IE) set by the General Services Administration (GSA) for CONUS travel, and by the Department of Defense for OCONUS travel.

B.  Intra-State Travel - Authorized travel within the State of Hawai’i which includes inter-island travel (one-day trips where the traveler leaves and returns on the same day, overnight trips on research vessels in Hawaiian waters, and trips that require overnight absence), and on-island travel (travel on the same island that requires overnight absence).  “Travel” on the same island not requiring overnight absence, does not qualify as Intra-State Travel.

C.  Lodging - Allowable expenditure to cover the lodging costs of Intra-State and Out-of-State Travel, where such Lodging costs are necessary and reasonable.

D.  Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE) - The maximum amount authorized for daily  Meals and Incidental Expenses determined by the business destination set by U.S. General Services Administration for CONUS travel and the Department of Defense for OCONUS travel.

E.  Out-of-State Travel - Authorized travel outside the State of Hawai’i to the United States (U.S.) and its territories and foreign localities.  Some procedural and accounting differences distinguish mainland U.S. travel (CONUS – Continental U.S.) from foreign travel (OCONUS – Outside Continental U.S.), i.e., special Per Diem rate additional approval requirements, separate subcodes, etc.

F.  Per Diem - Allowance for lodging, meals and related incidental expenses.  A maximum specified amount for each day of authorized intra-state or Out-of-State Travel is established by collective bargaining agreements.

III. Administrative Procedure

A.  Applicability   

  1.  Applies to all University employees and affiliated personnel.   
  2.  Applies to all State and extramural sources of funds. Extramural funded travel follows Federal and State laws, rules and regulations, institutional practices, and granting agency guidelines unless exceptions are specifically cited.   

  3.  Whenever there is a conflict between these procedures and the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement, the provisions of the collective bargaining agreement shall take precedence.  Under Chapter 89, Hawai’i Revised Statutes (HRS), excluded employees shall receive the same benefits as employees included in related bargaining units.

B.  Accountable Plan 
  1.  The University of Hawai'i reimburses employees under an “accountable” business expense reimbursement plan.  Reimbursements or other expense allowance made under an accountable plan generally are nontaxable and do not have to be reported by the employer on the employee’s W-2.  It is the responsibility of the traveler to retain necessary documentation and complete submissions timely or amounts could be deemed taxable to the traveler.    

  2.  This AP is meant to provide guidance for the majority of situations related to employee travel and business expenses, but it is not exhaustive.  Any disputed expenses, whether or not specially addressed in this AP, must meet applicable requirements of the IRS and Treasury Regulations in order to qualify for reimbursement under an accountable plan.     

  3.  In order to qualify as an accountable plan, payments for expenses must meet the requirements of Internal Revenue Code Sections 61, 62, 162, and 274 and related Treasury Regulations.  These requirements include:         

    a.  Business Connection Requirement              
Advances, allowances or reimbursements are only for specified deductible business expenses that are paid or incurred by the employee in connection with his/her services as an employee.         

    b.  Substantiation Requirement                        
The employee must submit a travel completion and substantiate each business expense with a detailed record, such as itemized receipts or paid bills specifying the following:           
      (1)  The amount of each separate travel or business expenditure. 
      (2)  Dates of departure and return, or dates of expenditure.             
      (3)  Number of days away from home spent on business.             
      (4)  Remote location where traveler conducts university business (City and State or Country).             
      (5)  Business purpose of travel.       
    c.  Return of Funds Requirement             
If the amount of an advance exceeds the reimbursable expenses or cancellation of travel was not done timely by the traveler, payment from the traveler for the amount due shall be submitted with the Travel Completion report to the traveler’s business office within 21 calendar days from the end date of the trip or cancellation. The check must be made payable to the University of Hawai'i. Exceptions to the 21 calendar day requirement may be requested through the Director of Disbursing.

C.  Travel Authorization   

  1.  Roles and Responsibilities

Roles / Approver

Responsible For


Certifying the trip was taken and the expense(s) listed were incurred. Enroll in ACH per AP 8.802. Submit travel completion within 21 calendar days from the end date of the trip.

Approving Authorities:


Authorizing the purpose of trip benefits the University, the employee has permission to travel, and the employee’s workload is covered.  Notifying the UH Office of Export Controls ("UH OEC") when employee's destination(s) includes sanctioned countries; refer to the Office of Foreign Assets Controls Sanctions Programs and Country Information for list of current sanctioned countries.

Principal Investigator (PI)/
Program Manager

Authorizing use of the account code(s) to fund the trip.

Executive Approving Authority*

Authorizing Out-of-State Travel.

Fiscal Administrator

Authorizing funds are available and fiscal policies and procedures have been followed.

Disbursing Office

Auditing for procedural compliance.

For Travel By

* Executive Approving Authority includes:

UH Manoa Units

Deans / Directors

UH Hilo Units
Community Colleges,
UH Manoa, UH Hilo,
UH West Oahu, Maui College

Provost / Chancellors / Vice Chancellors

Systemwide Programs

Vice Presidents / Associate Vice Presidents

Community College
Deans/ Directors
Chancellors or Vice Presidents


* In the absence of the above individuals, a memo should be sent to the Disbursing Office indicating those individuals in the chain of authority who may sign on behalf of the executive approving authority. The authority of Deans, Directors, Chancellors, Vice Chancellors, Vice Presidents, and Associate Vice Presidents to approve travel documents cannot be further delegated to designees on a permanent basis.

    2.  Authorization of Travel Request, Advance, and Completion

Type of Travel

Travel Request & Advance

Travel Completion


Must be:

    • Certified by the Traveler
    • Approved by the Approving
    • Authority (e.g. Traveler's
    • Supervisor and/or PI/Program Manager)
    • Approved by the appropriate Fiscal Administrator

Must be:

    • Certified by the Traveler
    • *Approved by the Approving
    • Authority (e.g. Traveler's
    • Supervisor and/or PI/Program Manager)
    • *Approved by the appropriate Fiscal Administrator


Must be:

    • Certified by the Traveler
    • Approved by the Approving Authority (e.g. Traveler's Supervisor and/or PI/Program Manager)
    • Approved by the Executive Approving Authority
    • Approved by the appropriate Fiscal Administrator
    • Coordinated with UH OEC when foreign travel will involve sanctioned countries

Must be:

    • Certified by the Traveler
    • *Approved by the Approving Authority (e.g. Traveler's Supervisor and/or PI/Program Manager)
    • *Approved by the appropriate Fiscal Administrator

No Cost

Must be:

    • Certified by the Traveler
    • Approving Authority (e.g. Traveler’s Supervisor and/or PI/Program Manager)
    • Executive Authority (if travel occurs Out-of-State)
    • Coordinated with UH OEC when foreign travel will involve sanctioned countries

Must be:

    • Certified by the Traveler

*For travel completions with no significant changes from the approved request, ONLY the Fiscal Administrator’s approval is required.  For travel completions with significant changes from the approved request, approvals will be required from the Approving Authority (e.g. Traveler’s Supervisor and/or PI/Program Manager) and Fiscal Administrator.  Significant changes are defined as:   
    •    Increase of 15% or $75 or more owed to the traveler    
    •    Change in the method the travel is processed (e.g. UH Foundation, No-Cost, etc.)   
    •    Change in destination (e.g. Intra-State, Out-of-State, etc.)   
    •    Change in account codes   
    •    Change in the distribution of account codes   
    •    Itinerary change of a day or more

    3.  General Rules
          (1)  No individual should approve or certify a document which is used to expend funds directly for himself/herself.  Such documents must be approved by the individual’s supervisor.
          (2)  If an individual is traveling on another department’s/unit’s funds, appropriate approval should be obtained to authorize release time from the individual’s base department/unit.  For 9-month employees, this authorization should be obtained during the Winter and Spring breaks, but is not needed for Summer breaks.
          (3)  Temporary substitutes or fiscal administrators are restricted to other fiscal administrators and assistants who have been delegated purchasing authority by the Associate Vice President/Controller. (Refer to A8.026 - Appointment of Fiscal Administrators and Assistant Fiscal Administrators).
          (4)  Travelers shall enroll in e-payment options as outlined in AP8.802 to receive reimbursement via ACH.
          (5)  Individuals traveling to sanctioned countries must coordinate their travel and activities with the UH OEC. (Refer to EP 12.218 - Compliance with United States Export Control Laws and Regulations).

D.  Purpose and Justification
    1.  Purpose/Justifications are required on all travel forms.
    2.  Documentation which provides a basis for the travel should be submitted with the travel request.
    3.  Purpose/justifications should specify the name, date and place of the meeting, conference, workshop, seminar, or state the nature of the task to be performed.
    4.  A business itinerary (e.g. business destination(s), travel dates, travel times, etc.) and estimated travel expenditures are required.
    5.  Vacation or leave without pay planned or taken in conjunction with official travel must be fully explained in the justification.

E.  Travel Requests
    1.  All travel must be approved in writing.  Any travel expense that is not approved prior to travel is at the risk of the traveler and may become the traveler’s personal expense. Individual departments are allowed to use their discretion in the establishment of internal control requirements.
    2.  Travel requests must be submitted via:
          a.  eTravel
          b.  DISB-4, Employee Travel Form for travel request that cannot be processed in eTravel

F.  Travel Advances
    1.  Travel Advance Eligibility
          Travel advances are limited in use but may be granted:
         a.  To active employees for Student Athlete travel-related expenses associated with athletic competitions where PCards or purchase orders are not accepted.  Employees must not have any other outstanding advances more than 30 days after return from a prior trip.
          b.  For Student travel relating to University sanctioned business as well as any travel related to chartered student organizations.  Students must not have any other outstanding advances more than 30 days after return from a prior trip.

    2.  Travel advances may be requested prior to a trip to cover estimated expenses by submitting:
          a.  eTravel
          b.  DISB-4, Employee Travel Form for travel request that cannot be processed in eTravel - Submit Original and one (1) copy
          c.  Receipts or documentation to substantiate the estimated expense.

    3.  Issuance of Eligible Travel Advances
          a.  For any advances, the original eTravel Request with Advance or DISB-4 Employee Travel Form with supporting documentation must be received by the Disbursing Office at least ten (10) working days prior to the departure date.
          b.  Any person receiving a travel advance will receive either an automated email notice (if enrolled in ACH per AP8.802) or a separate letter with the travel advance check, advising the traveler of the timeline to substantiate the travel and the consequences of their failure to comply.

    4.  Cancelled or Postponed Trips
          a.  A travel advance must be returned immediately if an authorized trip is cancelled or indefinitely postponed.  A nonrefundable ticket associated with a cancelled trip must be used for the employee’s next trip or, if allowed by the airline, used by the department for a different traveler on University business.
          b.  To cancel a travel advance check (UHGA) that was issued and not cashed; complete GALC-625, Stop Payment/Cancellation Request (Refer to A8.681 - Cancellation of University of Hawai‘i General Account Check). Submit UHGA check and GALC-625 to the Disbursing Office.
          c.  If the travel advance was processed via ACH or the check was cashed or deposited into the traveler’s bank account, obtain a personal check from the traveler for the full amount of the advance. The check should be made payable to the University of Hawai'i.  Provide the Advance Deposit (AD) number to the Disbursing Office.

G.  Transportation Expenses
    1.  Transportation expenses shall be reimbursed based on the most economical mode of transportation unless an overriding condition exists that dictates otherwise, and the most direct route consistent with the authorized purpose of the trip.

    2.  General Rules
          a.  Indirect or Interrupted Itineraries - Advance approval is required when a traveler takes an indirect route or interrupts travel by a direct route, for other than University business. Any resulting additional expenses shall be borne by the traveler. The reimbursement of expenses shall be limited to the actual costs incurred or the charges that would have been incurred via a usually traveled route, whichever is less. Any resulting excess travel time will not be considered work time, and should be charged to the appropriate type of leave.

          b.  Travel Extended to Save Costs - Additional expenses associated with travel extended to save costs (e.g. a Saturday night stay for domestic travel) may be reimbursed when the cost of airfare would be less than the cost of airfare had the traveler not extended the trip (provided the expenses incurred are in compliance with this AP).  Such expenses, which include lodging, M&IE, and transportation incurred within the vicinity of the business destination, shall not exceed the amount the University would have paid had the traveler not extended the trip.

    3.  Air Travel Commercial Airlines
          a.  Economy Class - Airfare shall not be more than Economy class.  Any incremental costs, such as but not limited to, preferred or extra leg room seating in Economy Class shall be paid by the traveler.  This policy applies to all travel (domestic or foreign, or any combination thereof) regardless of the purpose or the fund source.         
          b. Economy Plus (e.g. Preferred or Extra Leg Room Seating), Premium Economy, Business or First Class - Use of these services may be authorized for the special circumstances listed below. Documentation of such circumstances must be provided on the original travel request.
              (1)  These services are only offered or available between two points;
              (2)  The use of Economy Class would be more expensive or time consuming (e.g. due to scheduling difficulties traveling by Economy Class would require an unnecessary hotel expense, circuitous routing, or an unduly long layover when making connections);
              (3)  The use of these services are required to reasonably accommodate a disability or medical need of a traveler.
          c.  When a traveler prefers to purchase a higher class than one authorized for reimbursement, the traveler must pay the incremental cost of the airfare and provide documentation showing the authorized cost at the time of booking and include as part of the original travel request.
          d.  In cases other than those described above, a written authorization to use Business or First Class or other higher cost service shall be obtained in advance from an Approving Authority.  The traveler shall submit such authorization with the travel request.
          e.  U.S. Flag Air Carriers – Under the Fly America Act, U.S. carriers shall be used for travel reimbursed from federal grants and contracts, unless one of the following exceptions applies:
              (1)  Use of a U.S. carrier service would extend travel time, including delay at origin, by 24 hours or more.
              (2)  U.S. carriers do not offer non-stop or direct service between origin and destination.  However, a U.S. carrier must be used on every portion of the route where it provides service unless when compared to using a foreign air carrier, such use would:
                    (a)  Increase the number of aircraft changes outside of the United States by two or more; or
                    (b)  Extend travel time by at least 6 hours or more; or
                    (c)  Require a connecting time of 4 hours or more at an overseas interchange point.
              (3)  When the costs of transportation are reimbursed in full by a third party, such as a foreign government or an international agency.
              (4)  Reimbursement of travel on a foreign air carrier may be denied in the absence of such justification.

    4.  Automobile Rental or Local Transportation Services
          a.  Automobile rental is allowed only in instances where a business need can be shown or when government owned vehicles or privately owned vehicles on a mileage basis are unavailable or impractical. The Collision Damage Waiver charge is permitted for Out-of-State Travel but is not permitted for rentals in the State of Hawai’i (Refer to A8.265 – Specialized Purchase Procedures; A8.400 – Risk Management).  When renting vehicles within the State, employees should decline all insurance options.  In case of an accident, provide the rental agency with a copy of the explanatory Memo. Click on "Car Rental Accident Memo".
          b.  Automobile rental is limited to compact or sub-compact vehicles. Justification when requesting a larger vehicle must be provided on the Travel Request and Completion.
          c. Local transportation services should be utilized where possible and will be reimbursed with proper documentation.  Examples include airport shuttles, taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc.

    5.  Automobile Mileage Expense
          a.  Mileage reimbursements are allowed only when publicly owned vehicles at University departments and the University Transportation Service are not available or are not practical to use. Private automobiles on a mileage basis should be shared by travelers whenever possible.
          b.  Refer to A8.852 – Personal Automobile Mileage Voucher for mileage guidelines.
          c.  The DISB-33, Personal Automobile Mileage Voucher, shall be used to process mileage and parking fee reimbursements. However, whenever feasible, travel related mileage/parking fee reimbursements should be processed for payments on the Employee Travel Form and properly supported by an approved Personal Automobile Mileage Voucher. The DISB-33 must still be prepared with all relevant information entered (See A8.852 – Personal Automobile Mileage Voucher)

H.  Subsistence Expenses
    1.  Subsistence expenses incurred while on travel status consist of charges for Lodging and Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE). Expenses must be ordinary and necessary to accomplish the official business purpose of the trip.

    2.  Current Per Diem and Meals & Incidental Expense (M&IE) Rates
          a.  Current allowable Per Diem rates and M&IE rates are available at the University of Hawai‘i (UH) travel web site
          b.  Per Diem rates are established by law or applicable collective bargaining unit contract. Under Chapter 89, HRS, excluded employees receive the same rates as employees included in the related bargaining unit.
          c.  Separate Per Diem rates are established for intra- state and Out-of-State Travel.

    3.  Computing Per Diem Allowance
          a.  In computing the M&IE allowance, the calendar day (midnight to midnight) shall be the unit.
          b.  For fractional Per Diem allowances for departure and return days, use the following table:       

If Time of

Allowed on Day of:




12:01 a.m. – 6:00 a.m.

1 Day

¼ Day

6:01 a.m. – Noon

¾ Day

½ Day

12:01 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.

½ Day

¾ Day

6:01 p.m. – midnight

¼ Day

1 Day

          c.  If applicable, Per Diem and M&IE allowances for departure and return days are added to the full travel days to calculate the total allowable claim.
          d.  Pre-board limits may be calculated into the allowable days of the actual business (e.g. Pre- board limits are 90 minutes for Intra-State Travel and 3 hours for Out-of-State Travel).
          e.  Connecting/transfer stops are to be calculated into the allowable days of the actual business destination. Do not calculate allowances for personal stops. Personal stops/days must be deducted from the total travel time.

    4.  Exceptions to the Established Collective Bargaining Rates for Travel Allowances
          a.  Under Federal extramural contracts/grants, authorized Federal city rates are allowed, provided prior written approval for each period of travel and for the applicable Per Diem rates is obtained from the Federal funding agency.
          b.  If the terms and conditions of the contract or the grant award document require the University to follow the Federal Travel Regulations, the maximum Federal Per Diem allowance authorized for the destination area must be used (may be lower or higher than the State rate).

    5.  Allowance for Duplicate Payment for Meals
          a.  An employee’s Per Diem shall not be reduced on the basis of meals included in conference programs. This provision applies to all bargaining units.
          b.  This duplicate meal payment provision will not be allowed in situations where conference meals are optional (at added cost), since the individual is exercising his/her freedom of choice.
          c.  On any double meal payment situation, supporting conference brochures or other documentation are required to support the claim that the conference meals were not optional.
          d.  If a reduction for meals is required, the following values of the optional meals will be used to reduce the M&IE amount:


Percentage of M&IE







   6.  Per Diem for Travel on the Same Island
          a.  Employees are entitled to Per Diem for travel on the same island, if it is impracticable and undesirable to return home at the end of a workday and commercial lodging is utilized. This provision applies to all bargaining units.
          b.  Per Diem cannot be provided for “travel” on the same island if overnight absence is not required since this does not qualify as being on official travel status.

    7.  Per Diem for Same Day Intra-State Travel
          Employees shall be entitled to a travel allowance provided for by their respective collective bargaining agreement.  Per Diem payments for same day travel without overnight stay is a reportable expense.  For travel that cannot be processed through eTravel, a DISB-4C, Per Diem / M&IE / Lodging Tax Calculation Worksheet, is required.

    8.  Per Diem for Package Deals
          a.  When package deals are used, the traveler must list items covered in the package, e.g., airfare, car rental, meals, and/or hotel accommodations, etc.  Package deals shall be coded with the “Other Travel” subcode.
          b.  Where hotel / lodging accommodations are part of the package, the traveler is only allowed to claim for the meal & incidental expense allowance.
          c.  If hotel / lodging and meals are included in the package, the traveler will not be allowed to claim any allowance.

    9.  Meals & Incidental Expense (M&IE) Rates
          a.  Meals & incidental expense allowances are allowed for travel where living quarters / lodging is made available to the traveler, either free of charge or handled as a separate expense.  For example, excess lodging is handled as a separate expense.
          b.  Meals & incidental expense allowance cannot be provided for “travel” on the same island if overnight absence is not required since this does not qualify as being on official travel status.
          c.  Meals & incidental expense allowance rates are the difference between the Per Diem rate and the base lodging rate, with separate rates established for intra-state and Out-of-State Travel. The current rates are available on the UH travel website.

    10.  Excess Commercial Lodging Expenses
          a.  For all bargaining units, the collective bargaining agreements provide that commercial lodging costs in excess of the base lodging rate for intra-state and Out-of-State Travel shall be allowable in addition to Per Diem.
              (1)  Refer to the eTravel home page, for the base Lodging rate.
              (3)  The excess lodging expense shall be approved in advance and shall be necessary and reasonable. (Total lodging expenses greater than the FAR or the lodging rate set by collective bargaining shall be referred to as excess lodging expense.)
              (4)  The total excess lodging expense must be supported by documentation which provides the basis for the estimates. Supporting documentation can include but are not limited to hotel registration form, verbal confirmation (include hotel and person contacted), and faxes.
          b.  Excess Lodging Expenses on the Employee Travel Form:
              (1)  In all cases, excess lodging expenses must be detailed in the Itinerary or Expenditure section of the eTravel form, or Expenditure section of the DISB-4.
              (2)  "Estimated" excess lodging expenses must be approved in advance, on the Travel Request.
              (3)  "Actual" excess lodging expenses must include receipts in support of the claim. Charges listed on the lodging receipt that are covered by the M&IE allowance or deemed inappropriate will be disallowed.

I.  Other Allowable Expenses
    1.  Other necessary and reasonable expenditures incurred by the traveler in connection with official business may be claimed for reimbursement, provided that they are supported by original receipts in those cases where receipts are issued in the normal course of business. All receipts must be itemized; item descriptions must be provided for all cash register receipts. Where no receipts are issued, expenses shall be itemized on the DISB-4D, Receipt Summary Worksheet, and certifiy that the expenses were incurred in the conduct of official business and signed and dated by the traveler.

    2.  For a listing of allowable expenses, go to FAQ Expense List.

J.  Non-Reimbursable Expenses
    1.  Personal Travel – When extending a business trip using personal time, the traveler will be eligible for reimbursement of lodging and meals only for the time he or she is conducting business for the University. Personal time must be approved when the trip is authorized.

    2.  For a listing of disallowable expenses, go to FAQ Expense List.

K.  Cancellation of Reservations
    1.  Travelers who are unable to honor a reservation shall be responsible for canceling the reservation in compliance with the cancellation terms established by the hotel, airline, etc. The traveler must return any refundable deposits to the University.

    2.  Charges or lost refunds resulting from failure to cancel reservations shall not be reimbursed unless the traveler can show that such failure was the result of circumstances beyond the traveler’s control.

    3.  The traveler shall be responsible for promptly returning any unused or partially used transportation tickets for a refund or using the credit for future travel.

L.  Travel Completion
    1.  A Travel Completion report shall be used to account for all travel in connection with official University business.  This includes no cost travel and expense recordation of travel advances already paid. This form is also used to reimburse the traveler for any additional amounts due.

    2.  Travel Completion reports must be submitted via:
          a.  eTravel Form or
          b.  DISB-4, Employee Travel Form for travel completions that cannot be processed in eTravel.

    3.  The total amount of all expenses and advances pertaining to a particular trip must be accounted for when submitting a travel completion.  The business purpose of the travel must be substantiated. Substantiation must include the following:
          a.  The date and time of departure and return to the traveler’s home airport. When any personal leave is taken while on official travel status the number of personal days must be specified on the travel completion.
          b.  The origin and business destination of the trip and route taken. Travel between major points, such as city to city should be shown separately. Any substantial deviation from the original travel request should be explained.
          c.  The purpose for the travel or the nature of the business benefit derived as a result of the travel.
          d.  The amount of each expenditure, listed by date, location and purpose.
    4.  University travelers normally shall not be reimbursed for expenses paid on behalf of other employees and non- employees, except in the case of co-travelers who are sharing a room. Exceptions to this rule, such as supervised group trips, must be approved in advance.

    5.  Claims for reimbursement of expenses paid for other travelers shall be submitted by the group leader and must include the names of persons on whose behalf the expenses were incurred, an itemization of the expenses, and any other pertinent supporting documentation.

    6.  Reporting Period - The Travel Completion report must be submitted to the traveler’s business office within 21 calendar days from the end date of the trip.

M.  Documentation Requirements
    1.  Original Receipts – The original receipts of the following must be scanned and attached to the Travel Completion:
          a.  Receipts for all airline expenses including baggage fees.
          b.  Receipts for conference and registration fees.
          c.  Receipts for all lodging expenses incurred as required under the Collective Bargaining Agreements. Since hotel receipts may include charges that are not reimbursable, the traveler shall not be reimbursed for lodging expenses unless the receipt presented by the traveler contains itemized charges (e.g. room charge, taxes, phone, room service, movies, etc.) so that reimbursable charges may be identified.
          d.  Receipts for all rental car expenses.
          e.  Receipts for local transportation expenses.
          f.  Receipts for parking expenses.
          g.  Receipts for each miscellaneous expense. For a listing of allowable / disallowable expenses, go to
    2.  Electronic Receipts
          a.  Electronic receipts are acceptable provided that the detail contained in an electronic receipt is equivalent to the level of detail contained in an acceptable paper record. For example, an electronic receipt must show the name of the payee, the amount of the charge, the transaction date and the form of payment. When required to ensure adequate documentation of the cost incurred, the traveler is responsible for providing additional detail (e.g. a receipt with itemized hotel charges).
          b.  E-mailed or faxed documentation provided by the airline or travel agency for electronic ticketing is acceptable for substantiating such expenses. A copy of the faxed itinerary and receipt, or a copy of the e-mailed itinerary and receipt printed locally should be attached to the travel completion.

    3.  Missing Original Receipts
          a.  When original receipts are required but cannot be obtained or have been lost and all measures to obtain a duplicate receipt have been exhausted, a statement should be provided explaining why such receipts are not submitted with the Travel Completion report. The statement must include a certification that the amount shown is the amount actually paid and that the traveler has not and will not seek reimbursement from any other source. Where no receipts are issued, expenses shall be itemized on the DISB-4, Receipt Summary Worksheet, and certified that the expenses were incurred in the conduct of official business, and signed and dated by the Traveler.            
          b.  Reimbursements for missing or lost receipts shall be limited to $75 per receipt. Lodging receipts are always required regardless of amount.       

N.  Certification of Travel Expense    The traveler must sign the Travel Completion report certifying that the amounts claimed are a true statement of the expenses incurred on official University business and that the originals of all required receipts have been submitted.

O.  Return of Excess Travel Advance    If the amount of an advance exceeds the reimbursable expenses, payment from the traveler for the amount due shall be submitted with the Travel Completion report to the traveler’s business office within 21 calendar days from the end date of the trip.  The check must be made payable to the University of Hawai`i.

P.  Tax Considerations
    1.  Unrecovered Cash Advances – If an employee fails to substantiate expenses and return any unused cash advance amounts within 60 days of the return date of the trip, the University may, under IRS regulations, report such amounts as income to the employee. As a result, the amount of unsubstantiated expenses and unrecovered advances will be reported through the payroll system as additional wages to the employee. The income and applicable employment taxes on the additional wages will be withheld from the employee’s regular earnings. Once amounts are reported to the IRS as wages, no changes can be made to the payroll records.

    2.  Non-Cash Advances – Travel payments, such as registration fees, airline tickets, etc., made to a vendor on behalf of an employee who has not submitted a Travel Completion report within the 60 day period will be reported through the payroll system as additional wages to the employee. The income and applicable employment taxes on the additional wages will be withheld from the employee’s regular earnings. Once amounts are reported to the IRS as wages, no changes can be made to the payroll records.

    3.  Fixed Rate Per Diem – If a traveler is receiving a fixed Per Diem rate for travel, the actual M&IE rate will be compared against the Federal Allowable Rate (FAR) to determine the taxable amounts. Any amount in excess of the FAR is taxable.

Q.  Manual Travel Forms    For a listing of manual travel forms, go to FMO Travel Services Website - Forms

R.  Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)    For a listing of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), go to

IV. Delegation of Authority

There is no administrative specific delegation of authority.

V. Contact Information

VI. References

A.  Link to superseded Executive Policies in old format   

B. Link to Administrative Procedures in old format

VII. Exhibits and Appendices



    Kalbert Young    
    January 27, 2022    
    Vice Pres for Budget & Fin/CFO


travel; guidelines; IRS; procedures; employees