Photo of LIS Alumna Keala Richard at the Smithsonian Libraries Preservation Department.

LIS Alumna Keala Richard at Smithsonian Libraries

The students, faculty, and staff of the Library & Information Science program wish to offer a sincere and elated congratulations to Alumna Keala Richard, who recently became the newest member of the Smithsonian Libraries Preservation Department as a Conservation Technician! During her time in the UHM LIS program, Keala interned at the Smithsonian’s Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Library and received a certificate in Archives and Special Collections.

In a Smithsonian article about Keala, she says:

“The intersection in interests of my native Hawaiian history and Western culture brought me to Washington and the Smithsonian. I hope that with developing skills in library conservation I can return home to share resources and approaches to help and inspire others.”

In the meantime, since she has moved to Washington, Keala has discovered Hālau Nohona Hawaiʻi, the Hawaiian cultural school in Silver Spring, where she is participating in classes offered in hula, language, chant, protocols, music, and history.

You can read more about Keala and her exciting new conservation position at the Smithsonian website.

Best wishes, Keala!