The center hosts a variety of seminar talks throughout the year. Seminars feature both locally based and visiting dignitaries, academics, students, writers, artists, filmmakers, and others whose work and contributions are focused on the Pacific. Topics are wide-ranging and attract a varied audience.
To be placed on the mailing list for upcoming seminars, or to explore the possibility of participating as a speaker, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blue Pacific Futures: An Occasional Series
Blue Pacific Futures is a series jointly organized by our very own Tarcisius Kabutaulaka from the Center for Pacific Islands Studies at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa and the Center for Australian, New Zealand and Pacific Studies at Georgetown University.
- Blue Pacific Futures Inaugural Lecture: A Conversation with Dame Meg Taylor on November 2, 2022 featuring discussants Tarcisius Kabutaulaka and Gerard A. Finin.
- Peter Tali Coleman Lecture on Pacific Public Policy (& Blue Pacific Futures) with Palau President Tommy Remengesau on January 11, 2021 with Representative Amata Radewagon of American Samoa.
- Blue Pacific Futures: What’s next in Pacific regionalism? on February 23, 2021. The conversation was moderated by Alan Tidwell (GU) and Tarcisius Kabutaulaka (CPIS) with contributions by:
- Gerald Zackios the Republic of the Marshall Islands Ambassador to the United States;
- Steven McGann the former United States Ambassador to the Republics of Fiji, Nauru, Kiribati, and the Kingdom of Tonga and Tuvalu;
- Dr. Gerard Finin of Cornell University; and
- Dr. Anna Powles of Massey University.
- Blue Pacific Futures: Bougainville Independence, A New Nation Rising in the Pacific? on September 22, 2021. The conversation was moderated by Alan Tidwell (GU) and Tarcisius Kabutaulaka (CPIS) with contributions by:
- James Tanis, former President of the Autonomous Bougainville Government; and
- Dr. Anthony Regan, Fellow, Department of Pacific Affairs, Coral Bell School of Asia Pacific Affairs, Australian National University.
- Blue Pacific Futures: US-Pacific Engagement, Views from Hawai’i’s Congressional Members on December 1, 2021.
- Senator Brian Schatz
- Senator Mazie Hirono
- Representative Ed Case
- Representative Kai Kahele
- Blue Pacific Futures: Samoa’s Prime Minister Fiamē presents the Peter Tali Coleman Lecture on Pacific Public Policy on April 6, 2022 with Representative Amata Radewagon of American Samoa.
- Blue Pacific Futures: China Solomon Islands Security Agreement and Blue Pacific InSecurities on April 20, 2022. The conversation was moderated by Alan Tidwell (GU) and Tarcisius Kabutaulaka (CPIS) with contributions by:
- Hon. Danny Philip is a veteran Solomon Islands politician and former prime minister and minister of foreign affairs. He is the member of Parliament for South New Georgia- Rendova-Tetepare.
- Hon. Peter Kenilorea Jr. is the member of Parliament for East Are Are and chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Foreign Relations.
- Dorothy Wickham is a journalist with a deep understanding of Solomon Islands and Pacific Islands politics and cultures and a trusted voice in the region.
- Dr. Transform Aqorau is a professor at the Solomon Islands National University, the CEO of iTuna Intel, and legal adviser to the Marshall Islands (fisheries). He is the former CEO of the Parties to the Nauru Agreement, deputy director of the Forum Fisheries Agency, and legal counsel for the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat.