Sixteen University of Hawaiʻi Department of Art and Art History alumni and faculty members have artworks in a new exhibit at the Hawaiʻi State Art Museum:
- Bernice Akamine, UHM BFA Glass, 1994 and MFA Sculpture and Glass, 1999
- Jake Boggs, UHM MFA Ceramics, 2016
- Allyn Bromley, UHM BFA, 1968, Emeritus Professor Department of Art and Art History
- Sean K. L. Browne, UHM MFA Sculpture, 1983
- Gaye Chan, UHM BFA, 1979, Professor and Associate Dean, CALL
- Debra Drexler, Professor. and Art and Art History Department Chair
- Lynn Martin Graton, UHM MA Pacific Island Studies, 1981
- Daven Hee, UHM BFA Ceramics, 1999
- Darius Homayounpour, UHM MFA Textiles, 2000
- Roen Hufford, UHM BFA Ceramics, 1973
- Emily McIlroy, UHM MFA Drawing and Painting, 2011, Lecturer Art and Art History
- Carl Franklin Kaʻailaʻau Pao, UHM BFA Ceramics, 1994
- Maya Lea Portner, UHM MFA Fiber, 2006
- Joy Sanchez, UHM BFA Ceramics, 2021
- Juvana Soliven, UHM BFA Sculpture, 2013, Lecturer Art and Art History
- Maile Yawata, UHM BFA Painting, 1969
For over fifty years, the Art in Public Places Collection of the Hawaiʻi State Foundation on Culture and the Arts has been recognized as one of the most significant collections of contemporary art of Hawaiʻi. This exhibition invites you to engage with a selection of new acquisitions to the collection from across the islands. The artworks acquired from juried and curated exhibitions offer an insight into current trends and themes in the local arts scene and provides an opportunity to see the diversity of works being created in Hawaiʻi today.
The museum will be open until 9:00 p.m. on February 10 with The Vibe live music event. ACCESSION will be on view through summer 2024.
Please visit https://sfca.hawaii.gov/rsvp-exhibit-opening/ to RSVP for the opening reception, starting at 6:00 pm.
- Accession_gallery_ – left to right, Darius Homanyoupour, “Indigo Rag Painting No. 5”; Debra Drexler, “Gold Stream” (detail); Maya Lea Portner, “Dance Forest” (detail); and Ghislaine D. Chock, “The Forgotten Coverlet of 1862”.
- Accession-Entrance_ – front wall are all Maile Yawata sculptures (“Takuan #1 – #6”); detail on the left is Roen Hufford, “Ka Papa Honua (strata of earth)” and detail on the right is Emily McIlroy, “Feather Woman Wailing”. 9-9-2023