Systemwide Events Calendar
Arts Exhibition: Peranakan Chinese Heritage of Southeast AsiaMay 19, 2013 - September 15, 2013
Manoa Campus, East-West Center Gallery, John A. Burns Hall
The Peranakan Chinese are descendents of Chinese traders who settled in Malacca and coastal areas of Java and Sumatra as early as the 15th century. They married into local Southeast Asian communities, as Chinese women were not legally allowed to leave China. In the 19th century, the Peranakan immigrated into the bustling ports of Penang and Singapore during the British colonial expansion. The Peranakan community was successful as merchants and, later, as professionals. These communities are often referred to as Straits Chinese or baba nyonya (baba refers to the males and nyonya to the females).
Peranakan became extremely cosmopolitan and displayed their wealth and artistic sensibilities using items acquired from China, Southeast Asia, and Europe. The EWC exhibition reflects this unique aesthetic and highlights many of the distinctive arts and customs of this community. Photographs and videos focus on wedding and marriage rituals, hospitality customs, funeral customs, and birthing traditions. A wide variety of textiles, clothing, beaded slippers, cooking utensils, and ceramics are included.
East-West Center, Manoa Campus
|Monday, August 26|
|7:30am||The Wellness Center - Fitness Class Schedule
Maui Campus, Pilina Bldg., Wellness Center
|8:00am||Agree to Degree Pledge table
Hawai'i Campus, Behind Bldg 379
Hawai'i Campus, Manono 379-15 / UH Hilo 324, 346
- Highlighted dates have scheduled events.
- Select the date to view all events for that day.
- Arts Exhibition: Peranakan Chinese Heritage of Southeast Asia
- The Wonder of Learning: the Hundred Languages of Children Exhibit
- Waikiki Parc Features Nicole Naone
- Course Reserves Deadlines and Information
- Welcome Week
- Welcome Week
- 2013 - 2014 Intramurals Basketball Season
- 2013 - 2014 Intramurals Flag Football Season
- Thinking about Law School?
- Open At-Large Student Senator Seat