Home > Documents

Documents


MOTION TO ENDORSE COMMITTEE ON ATHLETIC'S SPRING 2012 REPORT

 
Approved by the Manoa Faculty Senate on April 18, 2012
Senate voted seperately on each motion with 44 Senators in support of seperate votes and 9 against.


[Pdf]

MOTION TO ENDORSE COMMITTEE ON ATHLETIC'S SPRING 2012 REPORT

REPORT

Members: James Cartwright; Martha Crosby; Richard Nettell; Ashley Stokes; Lawrence Nitz, Linda Cox, Jennifer Matsuda, Scott Lozanoff, Raymond Panko, Peter Nicholson (FAR), Ian Pagano (MFS Laison), Kelley Withy (chair).

We were tasked with examining the student athletic fee, so we met with the Student Athlete Advisory Committee and they informed us that there are many more students attending games and they are very happy with that. The committee overseeing the fees and does so as follows: 8% of fees are used to improve student athletic experience and UH Manoa organizations can write grants for activities. The remaining 92% goes toward scholarships and other athletics related expenses.

We would like to acknowledge the rising grades of student athletes and express our support for this ongoing trend. 

We have identified four student concerns that we would like the full senate to address with the following motions:

vote


The Mānoa Faculty Senate voted in favor of the Motion at the April 18, 2012 Senate meeting with 48 votes in favor of approval and 3 against.

Motion on Internet Access for Traveling Student Athletes

Internet access is still a problem for the students as they travel for events, The committee moves that the administration should provide Internet access for all student athletes while traveling to enable them to complete UH coursework.

vote


The Mānoa Faculty Senate voted in favor of the Motion at the April 18, 2012 Senate meeting with 52 votes in favor of approval and 4 against.

Motion on Student Consultation in Facilities Redesign Process

Redesign of athletic facilities was completed with little input from the student athletes that will utilize them. The committee moves that student representatives from the Student Athletic Advisory Committee be included throughout any athletic facilities redesign process.

vote


The Mānoa Faculty Senate voted in favor of the Motion at the April 18, 2012 Senate meeting with 52 votes in favor of approval and 4 against.

Motion to Support Student Athlete’s Schedule

A few faculty are inflexible regarding student athlete travel and we ask that all faculty be supportive of our students when they are required to miss classes for athletic endeavors; it should also be stated that students should miss as few classes as possible to participate in athletic activities. It is also suggested that students have designated time for study that does not coincide with other activities. The committee moves that the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs be asked to remind all faculty to be supportive of our students when they are required to miss classes for athletic activities; and the VCAA will remind athletic department personnel that students should miss as few classes as possible to participate in athletic endeavors. The VCAA is asked to report to the senate at the September meeting.

vote


The Mānoa Faculty Senate voted in opposition to the Motion at the April 18, 2012 Senate meeting with 21 votes in favor of approval and 30 against.

Motion to Make all Majors Available to Student Athletes

Some athletes stated that they could not pursue majors they really wanted to due to participation in University-approved athletic endeavors. All majors should be declared available to student athletes and all majors should work to accommodate student athletes. Students will be surveyed regarding ability to choose any major they would like to. The committee makes a motion that all majors should be available to student athletes and all departments should work to accommodate student athletes.

vote