Interim report & supporting documnets presented to the Mānoa Faculty Senate on August 31, 2005 & on September 21, 2005 as informational items
|Date||Document & Link||Committee|
|November 16, 2005||SEC|
|November 16, 2005||SEC|
|October 19, 2005||
|September 9, 2005||Vice Chancellor for Research
Ad Hoc Committee on the Proposed UARC
|August 31, 2005||
||Ad Hoc Committee on the Proposed UARC|
Introductory & Background Information Regarding the Proposed University Affiliated Research Center
The Senate Executive Committee has convened an ad hoc committee to gather information about the proposed University Affiliated Research Center (UARC) to help UH Manoa Faculty have an informed discussion about this proposal before it is brought again to the Board of Regents. The ad hoc committee requests documents, opinions, weblinks that will help faculty arrive at an informed opinion.
The committee will strive to make available to the Manoa campus, in a coherent form, as many of the facts and opinions on this issue as possible, and represent the current state of collective knowledge. To that end, we invite faculty to share information and opinions about the UARC. Send your views to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to the Senate Discussion List at email@example.com, to have that information linked to this MFS page.
Members of the committee: Danielle Conway-Jones, Jon Osorio, Calvin Pang, Tom Ramsey (SEC Liaison), David Ross, Sara Rutter (Chair), Roy Wilkens, Jim Tiles (SEC Liaison)
President McClain's recommendation to the Board of Regents, February 16, 2006, see link for full-text:
- Accept Chancellor Konan's recommendation.
- In its place, and in the tradition of our EPSCoR and P-20 grants and contracts and the Maui High Performance Computing Center itself, approve the establishment of the UARC as an administrative unit attached to the UH System.
- Provide that the UARC will perform no classified task orders during its first three years of operation. This simplifies the administration of the UARC during its initial years, and addresses the "environments" issue profiled above.
- Provide that the UARC will retain the option to terminate a task order should the research involved become classified after the task order begins. This approach mimics Stanford University's approach to research that it finds is classified in mid-stream and gives UH additional flexibility, over and above current practice of moving projects off campus, in this area.
- Provide that UH will evaluate the UARC during its third year in terms of the financial and research returns received, and the costs and risks incurred, including the administrative burden associated with managing the UARC. If the UARC receives a favorable evaluation within UH, the university would invite the U.S. Navy to exercise its option for renewal of the contract for an additional two years. If the UARC did not pass the UH evaluation, or if it did and the U.S. Navy elected not to exercise its option, UH would discontinue the UARC.
- Resolution #1: Opposed to the UARC proposal, adopted 31 to 18, November 16, 2005.
- SEC ad hoc committee on the UARC final report (PDF), also in RTF version, posted November 8, 2005, Summary of final report, posted November 10, 2005
- Outside counsels' report on UARC draft contract (PDF), posted November 8, 2005.
- Interim Report from the ad hoc committee on the UARC. (PDF)
- Memorandum from Interim Chancellor Konan, October 13, 2005, regarding the UARC process. (PDF)
- February 4, 2003 Chancellor Englert and Vassilis Syrmos (Interim director of Science & Technology, RCUH) present an informational briefing to State Senate Committees on Science, Art and Technology, and on Economic Development on the UARC and the Engineering and Design Center, stating that each center will complement each other.
- April 16, 2003 Chancellor Englert submits a UARC management plan to the Chief of Naval Research, Admiral Jay Cohen
- July 8, 2004 Department of Navy designates University of Hawaii as a UARC, see UH Board of Regents Minutes pp. 9-12.
- September 1, 2004 UMH Faculty Senate Committee on Research (CoR) receives a memo from Chancellor Englert with an attached proposal for the UARC.
- The Committee on Research makes the following resolution:
- "In order to make a recommendation to the Board of Regents on this proposal, we need to hear the presentation about the proposal planned by Peter Englert for the Manoa Faculty Senate meeting scheduled for September 15, 2004.
- We are requesting that the proposal be scheduled for presenting at the November meeting of the Board of Regents to allow time for review by the Manoa Faculty Senate and the CoR."
- (from the minutes of September 1, 2005 CoR meeting)
- September 15 2004 Manoa Faculty Senate meeting in which Vassilis Syrmos presented a powerpoint of the proposed UARC, see September 15, 2004 Senate Minutes
- October 20, 2004 Faculty Senate Chair's Report lists UARC as one of the critical issues facing SEC.
- November 17, 2004 Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Resolution on the NAVSEA Applied Research Laboratory in which the Faculty Senate requested that the Board of Regents make approval of the UARC contingent on MFS approval. Resolution passed, seeMinutes of Faculty Senate November 17, 2004.
- November 18, 2004 Chancellor Englert requests Board of Regents approval of the establishment of an Applied Research Laboratory at the University of Hawaii at Manoa campus. Tom Schroeder, Chair of SEC, stated that the Faculty Senate expected to be consulted. Acting President McClain demands that the consultation process, which is to include Native Hawaiian stakeholder groups, be completed before the establishment of the UARC is approved by the Board. BOR gives provisional approval contingent on consultation with campus. UH Board of Regents Minutes pp. 9-12.
- December 8, 2004 two resolutions on classified research fromCommittee on Professional Matters (CPM) and Committee on Academic Policy and Programs (CAPP) are tabled so that an SEC Ad Hoc Committee can research classified and proprietary research.
- January 9, 2005 Ad Hoc Committee on Proprietary and Classified research formed
- February 4, 2005 Proposal sent to Department of Navy to establish UARC at Manoa ARL Technical Proposal Cover Letter
- February 16, 2005 Senator Ruth Dawson introduced resolution regarding classified research, see Dawson classified research resolution
- March 16, 2005 Ad Hoc committee on proprietary and classified research presents Report on Proprietary and Classified Research andResolution on Classified and Proprietary Research
- April 6, 7, 21 Public forums are held by Chancellor Englert. Transcripts available at Transcript of Public UARC Session April 6, 2005,Transcript of Public UARC Session April 7, 2005, Transcript of Public UARC Session April 21, 2005
- April 20, 2005 Committee on Research presents Resolution on Research Training and Revolving Funds (RTRF).
- May 3-9 2005 Save UH/Stop UARC Coalition demands withdrawal of UARC proposal, stages six day sit-in at Bachman Hall in UH President's office.
- May 16, 2005 Ad hoc Committee on UARC formed by SEC to work over summer, see SEC Minutes of May 16, 2005
- September 21, 2005 Manoa Faculty Senate meeting, Minutes of the Manoa Faculty Senate in which the UARC is discussed.
- October 19, 2005Manoa Faculty Congress, Minutes of the Congress in which the UARC is discussed.
- Revised Draft UARC Contract
Replaced earlier draft on MCO UARC webpage. Changes include additional clauses to Section C.5 (Access to Proprietary Data...), page 15, changes in wording in section H.5 (Disclosure of Information) and an additional section H.16, Intellectual Property Rights after Termination, page 44.
- Draft UARC Contract
Released October 7, 2005, 85 pages. Appendices: Exhibits A; Attachment 1, Task Preparation Instructions; Task Order Form; DD 254 (Department of Defense Contract Security Classification Specifications). Attachment 3, Subcontracting Plan for Utilization of Small Business, stamp dated August 8, 2005, Attachment 4, Government Furnished Property is not needed at this point.
- Revised UARC Business/Management Plan
Second revision, following presentation to neighborhood gropu, November 3, 2005
- Revised UARC Business/Management Plan
Posted October 3, 2005
- Business/Management Plan
Released September 12, 2005 by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research describes organization of UH UARC at the UH Manoa campus.
- University Affiliated Research Center (UARC) defined
"UARCs are not-for-profit, private sector organizations affiliated with, or part of, universities or colleges that maintain essential research, development and engineering capabilities needed by sponsoring DoD components. The UARCs are a recent DoD designation of university affiliated laboratories doing over $2 million of core work annually for DoD using management guidelines tailored to their unique structure. They too maintain long-term strategic relationships with sponsoring DoD components in specific core areas and operate in the public interest, free from real or perceived conflicts of interest."...UARCs are financed through long-term, non-competitive contracts awarded by sponsoring DoD components for specified core work." (A-19, Report of the Defense Science Board Task Force on Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDC) and University Affiliatate Research Centers (UARC), Independent Advisory Task Force, January 1997)
- Designation of UH Manoa UARC Approved
The Office of the Director of Defense Research and Engineering, Department of Defense, Ronald Sega, notified Interim Vice President of Research Jim Gaines of the approved designation on July 8, 2004. (Nov. 18, 2004 Minutes of BOR)
- Initial Cost to the University of Hawaii
$1.5 to 2 million annually, projected for 3 to 5 years. $1 million from Manoa Chancellor's Research and Training Revolving Funds (RTRF) and $.5 million from the office of the UH Vice President for Research. (Nov. 18, 2004 Minutes of BOR)
- Report of the Manoa Faculty Senate Ad Hoc Committee on Proprietary and Classified Research
Report delivered to the March 16, 2005 Senate meeting, with accompanying resolution: BE IT RESOLVED that the Manoa Faculty Senate affirms that the University of Hawaii at Manoa support only research for which there is a reasonable expectation that timely publication of the results of the research will not be restricted by its sponsor. [passed]
- UH Board of Regents Minutes, November 18, 2004
Board of Regents meeting in which UARC was presented to BOR by Chancellor Englert requested that the Board approve the establishment of an Applied Research Laboratory (pp. 9-12)
- ARL Technical Proposal Cover Letter, February 4, 2005
Letter from Vice-Chancellor for Research, Gary Ostrander, to Linda Squires of the Naval Sea Systems Command outlining a proposal from the UH Manoa Applied Research Laboratory in response to a NAVSEA RFP N00024-05-R-6234 (S). Volume I describes "proposed research and development work over the next five years," Volume II provides "cost and pricing information," and Volume III provides a "fee proposal and justification."
- ARL Technical Proposal, Volume I, accompanied letter of February 4, 2005
Volume I of proposal submitted by UH Manoa administration that outlines core research expertise at UH Manoa. Volume II and III have not been released to the Faculty Senate.
- University of Hawaii at Manoa Proposed University Affiliated Research Center
An overview of the proposed UARC, including background, core competencies, organization.
- Awards from Department of Defense at UH Manoa July 1, 2004-April 13, 2005
List of grant amounts and proposed research with DoD funding (Naval Research Laboratory, Department of Army, Tripler Army Medical Center, Department of Air Force, etc.)
- Transcript of Public UARC Sessions April 6, 2005
Open discussions held by Chancellor Englert and Vice-Chancellor Ostrander on the Manoa campus.
- Transcript of Public UARC Sessions April 7, 2005
Second open forum hosted by Chancellor Englert to discuss the UARC.
- Transcript of Public UARC Sessions April 21, 2005
Last of the scheduled open discussions hosted by Chancellor Englert
- Minutes of September 15, 2004 Manoa Faculty Senate Meeting
Senate meeting in which UARC or Applied Research Laboratory proposal was introduced to UHM Faculty Senate. Vassilis Syrmos presented powerpoint presentation. Minutes reflect document discussion about proposal.
- Manoa Faculty Senate Executive Committee Resolution, November 17, 2004
Resolution regarding proposed Applied Research Laboratory at UHM. Resolution passed at November 17, 2004 MFS meeting. For discussion see Minutes of Nov 17, 2004 Senate Meeting
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Proposed University Affiliated Research Center (UARC)
Prepared by the Chancellor's office.
- Navy denies UARC to most colleges, March 4, 2005
Article by Ka Leo staff writer Bart Abbott, interview with Vassilis Syrmos; gives history of the development of a UARC proposal.
- Research and Development Deliverables under Government Contracts, Grants, Cooperative Agreements and CRADAs: University Roles, Government Responsibilities and Contractor Rights by Danielle Conway-Jones, UH Professor of Law, article in press, Computer Law Review and Technology Journal, Fall, 2005.
Discusses intellectual property and patent rights in research performed under federal government funded contracts.