Mission, Values and Vision
The mission of the University Health Services Mānoa is to achieve and maintain a healthy student body and university community.
- Our first responsibility is to our patients and those who use our services. We strive to meet their health care needs and provide services that are professional, ethical, prompt, courteous, and at a reasonable cost.
- We respect and value patients' diversity and individuality. We welcome initiatives and participation in working with patients as a team for their optimal health.
- We honor the concept of "Lokahi" - that total health is the balance and harmony of the physical, emotional, family, environmental, and spiritual.
- We value our own healing community. We recognize individual worth, dedications, and merit. We believe in sincere collaborative efforts for the benefit of our organization.
- We subscribe to the concept that change is the only constant in life, and flexibility is teh key to meet changes and challenges.
- We promote continued professional and personal growth and encourage open communication. Differences are to be treated with respect and conflicts need to be resolved in peaceful and constructive ways.
- We are responsible to the University of Hawaiʻi and the fulfillment of its mission. We will actively pursue improvements to the health of the community by the delivery of quality service, education, and research.
- The UHSM will serve as the leader in campus health for the entire UH system.
- The staff will work individually and collectively toward the creation of a "Health Ohana" where all those giving and receiving services will be treated equally with respect, competence, and compassion.
- We will ensure that only the best qualified professional staff is providing the highest standard of care to patients. All services will be provided in the most professional, efficient, and effective manner.
- We will be responsive to the needs of the UHM community in health education, preventive care, and environmental health. We will ensure that there are no physical and financial barriers to accessing care.
- We will actively participate in the academic mission of the University. We facilitate enrollment retention by preventing health problems from interfering with students' pursuit of educational goals. Our role is not limited to direct medical care, but extends to assisting students in developing life-long healthy and responsible behavior.
- We will serve as the steward for student health insurance plans, and ascertain that all students have adequate coverage at reasonable cost.
- We will work/collaborate with all other UH units to address health issues for our community.
- Our work environment will be one that is safe, pleasant, and collegial. UHSM will be a place of employment where staff members are recognized for their merits and dedication, valued for their ideas and contributions, and encouraged to maximize personal and professional growth potential. Management will be responsive to staff concerns and issues.
- The UHSM will be an organization that practices continuous quality improvement.
- We will ensure the long-term structural, organizational and fiscal health of the unit by exploring all possible options. We will endeavor to become fiscally self-sufficient.
- We will ensure that UHSM meets all accreditation standards and complies with all university, state, and federal rules and regulations.
- UHSM will be a contributing organization in ensuring the health of our community, state, and society.