UH System Policies and Procedures
- Board of Regents Policies
- + 1. General Provisions
- + 2. Administration
- + 3. Organization
- + 4. Planning
- + 5. Academic Affairs
- + 6. Tuition, Financial Assistance, and Fees
7. Student Affairs
- 101. Delegation of Authority
- 102. Delegation of Authority to Negotiate and Establish Housing Rate for Conference
- 201. National Student Exchange Program
- 202. Clinical Health and Mental Health Services
- 203. Procedures for Setting Student Housing Rates
- 205. Systemwide Student Disciplinary Sanctions
- 206. Procedure for Concurrent Registration
- 207. Systemwide Student Association
- 208. Systemwide Student Conduct Code
- 209. Student Participation Verification in Coursework
- 301. International Student Health Insurance
- 302. Preferred Name
- + 8. Business and Finance
- + 9. Personnel
- + 10. Land and Physical Facilities
- + 11. Miscellaneous
- + 12. Research
- Abolished Policies (Post Oct. 2014)
- Archived EP
- Administrative Procedures
UH‐Related Laws and Rules
- Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes (HRS) 304A
- Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) Title 20
Executive Policy 7.209 Executive Policy 7.209
Student Participation Verification in Coursework
Executive Policy Chapter 7, Student Affairs
Executive Policy 7.209, Student Participation Verification in Coursework
Effective Date: July 2020
Prior Dates Amended: None
Responsible Office: Office of the Vice President for Academic Planning and Policy
Governing Board of Regents Policy: None
Review Date: July 2023
III. Executive Policy
Attendance and class participation are both a privilege and an obligation. They are factors that promote college success. Students are expected to establish initial attendance and maintain consistent attendance and participate in the courses for which they are registered.
Some students within the UH System enroll in classes, have tuition and fees payment balances, but fail to follow through with course attendance and completion (“no show”). Currently, these students accrue a bill based on registration, regardless of attendance. This financial obligation can prevent them from further enrollment when they are ready to succeed. Moreover, this process creates a burden of collection on the College’s business office and is a risk regarding institutional compliance.
This policy functions to underscore the importance of the first days as a foundation for semester success, to prevent unnecessary financial obligations for students who have not reaped educational benefit due to nonattendance in a course, and to keep the institution in compliance with Federal Title IV funding rules and regulations.
Under this policy, students who fail to establish attendance and participation in class by the end of the late registration period (“no show”) are dropped from the class. Tuition and fees charges for the class will be deleted from the student’s account and, if applicable, the student’s financial aid or veteran’s benefits will be recalculated accordingly. The class will be erased from the transcript and no grade will be assigned.
In order to implement this policy, all faculty members must verify initial participation of students registered in their courses by the end of the late registration period for that term. Faculty members teaching online, hybrid, or other classes that do not meet face-to-face during the late registration period will verify initial attendance through one of the following ways:
A student is responsible for informing the faculty member if he/she will be absent during the late registration period and wishes to stay enrolled.
A student who is dropped from a course via this policy may request a reinstatement in the course through the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs (VCAA) to add back a dropped course with instructor permission. Late fees may apply. Students who are reinstated are responsible for any missed work.
IV. Delegation of Authority
There is no policy-specific delegation of authority.
V. Contact Information
Office of the Vice President for Academic Planning and Policy
(808) 956-6897 | email@example.com | www.hawaii.edu/offices/vp-academic-planning-policy
VII. Exhibits and Appendices
No Exhibits and Appendices found
July 23, 2020
TopicsNo Topics found.