UH System Policies and Procedures
- Board of Regents Policies
- + 1. General Provisions
- + 2. Administration
- + 3. Organization
- + 4. Planning
5. Academic Affairs
- 101. Authority to Award Degrees and Certificates for Programs Authorized by the Board of Regents
- 102. Authority to Implement BOR policy Governing University of Hawai‘i Program Certifications (degrees, diplomas, and certificates) Conferred by the BOR
- 201. Approval of New Academic Programs and Review of Provisional Academic Programs
- 202. Review of Established Programs
- 203. University of Hawaii Program Credentials
- 204. Distance and Online Learning
- 205. Academic Programs Definitions and Guidelines
- 206. Awarding of Honorary Degrees and Regents’ Medals
- 207. Awarding of Emeritus/Emerita Title
- 208. Nonresident Enrollment Cap
- 209. University of Hawai‘i System Student Transfer and Inter-Campus Articulation
- 210. Institutional Accountability and Performance
- 211. Grading During COVID-19 Public Health Crisis
- 212. Foreign Inter-institutional Affiliates (International Agreements)
- 215. Establishment and Review of Centers
- 217. Reinstatement of Deployed Active-Duty Military, Hawaii National Guard, and Reservists
- 219. Department Chairs, Special Program Directors and Chairs of Academic Subdivisions, and Cooperating Teachers/Counselors and Observation/Participation
- 220. Faculty Exchange
- 221. Classification of Faculty
- 222. High Demand
- 223. Graduate Assistants
- 228. Credit Hour
- 229. Programs with Low Number of Degrees Conferred
- 230. Small Undergraduate and Graduate Course Sections
- + 6. Tuition, Financial Assistance, and Fees
- + 7. Student Affairs
- + 8. Business and Finance
- + 9. Personnel
- + 10. Land and Physical Facilities
- + 11. Miscellaneous
- + 12. Research
- Abolished Policies (Post Oct. 2014)
- Archived EP
- Administrative Procedures
UH‐Related Laws and Rules
- Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes (HRS) 304A
- Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) Title 20
Executive Policy 5.206 Executive Policy 5.206
Awarding of Honorary Degrees and Regents’ Medals
Executive Policy Chapter 5, Academic Affairs
Executive Policy EP 5.206, Awarding of Honorary Degrees and Regents' Medals
Effective Date: October 2014
Dates Amended: June 1993, November 1984
Responsible Office: Office of the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
Governing Board of Regents Policy RP 5.209, Honorary Degrees and Regents’ Medals and University Distinguished Professor
Review Date: August 2018
A. To establish a mechanism for the review of candidates for honorary degrees and regents' medals.
B. To reflect the fact that honorary degrees are conferred by the Regents on behalf of the University of Hawai‘i as a whole, by ensuring systemwide participation in the review process.
C. To ensure that recommendations for honorary degrees are made in a timely manner so that the Board of Regents is accorded the opportunity for careful review and deliberation.
No policy specific or unique definitions apply.
III. Executive Policy
The basic policy is set forth in the Board of Regents Bylaws and Policies, RP 5.209.
A. Honorary Degrees
1. Honorary degrees may be awarded upon approval by the Board of Regents.
2. Criteria and conditions for the award of honorary degrees as established by Board of Regents policy are:
a. The candidate must be distinguished with the equivalent of a national or international reputation. Scholarship, public service, the professions, and business and industry are examples of general areas in which distinguished accomplishment may warrant the award of an honorary degree by the University of Hawai‘i.
b. Service or benefaction to the University of Hawai‘i does not in itself provide justification for the award of an honorary degree. The candidate must be distinguished in some appropriate field.
3. Honorary degrees and shall be not be awarded to members of the Board of Regents or to active employees of the University of Hawai‘i nor to former employees of the University until eleven months or more after the date of retirement or separation.
4. Honorary degrees shall not be awarded to individuals holding elective office in and from the State of Hawai‘i for a period of eleven months or more after retirement or separation.
5. Academic degrees earned after a prescribed course of study normally are not awarded as honorary degrees.
6. An honorary degree is awarded by the University as a whole rather than by a campus on which the conferral shall take place; therefore, only one University of Hawai‘i honorary degree shall be awarded to any individual.
7. Academic ceremonies at which honorary degrees may be conferred are University celebrations, commencement ceremonies, inaugurations, and special convocations when authorized by the President. Usually, only one honorary degree will be awarded at each ceremony.
B. All honorary degrees shall be conferred by the Board of Regents, or at its direction the President.
C. All matters concerning the nomination and selection of candidates for honorary degrees and Regents' Medals are confidential, including written communications and deliberation of the Council of Chancellors who serves as the reviewing body.
D. Regents' Medals of Distinction and Regents' Medals
Individuals of exceptional accomplishment and distinction who have made significant contributions to the University, state, region, or nation, or within their field of endeavor, may, at the discretion of the Board of Regents, be awarded a Regents' Medal of Distinction. Other individuals for whom the Board desires to show high esteem may, on occasion, be awarded a Regents' Medal or such other symbol as seems appropriate.
IV. Delegation of Authority
There is no policy specific delegation of authority.
V. Contact Information
Office of the Vice President for Academic Planning and Policy
Telephone: (808) 956-6897
A. Link to superseded Executive Policies in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/ep/
B. Link to Administrative Procedures in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/apm/sysap.php
VII. Exhibits and Appendices
No Exhibits and Appendices found
October 31, 2014
TopicsNo Topics found.