UH System Policies and Procedures
- Board of Regents Policies
- Current Policies
- Abolished Policies (Post Oct. 2014)
- + 1. General Provisions
- + 2. Administration
- + 3. Organization
- + 4. Planning
- + 5. Academic Affairs
- + 6. Tuition, Financial Assistance, and Fees
- + 7. Student Affairs
- + 8. Business and Finance
- + 9. Personnel
- + 10. Land and Physical Facilities
- + 11. Miscellaneous
- + 12. Research
- Archived EP
- Administrative Procedures
UH‐Related Laws and Rules
- Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes (HRS) 304A
- Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) Title 20
Executive Policy 9.209 Executive Policy 9.209 abolished on 2020-08No current Policy.
Awarding of Emeritus/Emerita Title
Executive Policy Chapter 9, Human Resources
Executive Policy EP 9.209, Awarding of Emeritus/Emerita Title
Effective Date: October 2014
Prior Dates Amended: September 1990, October 2013
Responsible Office: Vice President for Administration, Office of Human Resources
Governing Board of Regents Policy RP 9.211, Health Fund, Retirement, and Other Benefits
Review Date: August 2019
This executive policy directs implementation of RP 9.211, Health Fund, Retirement, and Other Benefits of the Board of Regents’ Policies. The following objectives and guidelines shall govern the granting of emeritus/emerita title.
No policy specific or unique definitions apply.
III. Executive Policy
A. Objectives of this executive policy are:
1. To honor well qualified and respected retired UH faculty members, vice presidents and chancellors.
2. To recognize and retain the expertise of retired faculty, vice presidents and chancellors as valued University resources.
3. To establish guidelines and procedures for the awarding of the emeritus/emerita title and accompanying specific privileges and service opportunities.
B. Guidelines: The emeritus/emerita title is awarded in accordance with the following guidelines.
a. Faculty members retired from the University with the rank of full professor or its equivalent who have five or more years of service at that rank are eligible for emeritus/emerita status.
b. Vice presidents and chancellors retired from the University who have five or more years of service at that classification.
2. Award Procedures: The emeritus/emerita title is an honor bestowed by the Board of Regents, upon recommendation of the President, to UH faculty members in recognition of dedicated and honorable service rendered to the University. The honor is also awarded to vice presidents and chancellors who have made exceptional contributions to the University, provided long and distinguished service, and are recognized as distinguished leaders in their profession. Since it is an honor bestowed, not applied for, no documentation is expected or required from the awardee. Internal campus/program procedures for the identification of those individuals to be awarded the emeritus/emerita title will be developed by the vice presidents/chancellors. At a minimum, the procedures for the award will include the following steps:
a. Verification of eligibility by the campus/program human resources office to the Vice President/Chancellor of the unit.
b. Recommendation by the Vice President/Chancellor to the President of the University. The Vice President/Chancellor is responsible for preparing each letter of notification and congratulation from the Board of Regents to the awardee. These letters are to be forwarded to the President with the recommended list of awardees. Attachment 1 provides a sample of such a letter.
c. Recommendation by the President to the Board of Regents.
(d) Upon Board of Regents approval for the award of emeritus/emerita status, the Vice President/Chancellors shall send a letter to each awardee explaining the campus privileges associated with emeritus/emerita status.
3. Privileges: To the extent that resources permit, the emeritus title may confer certain privileges and courtesies associated with regular faculty status. A retired emeritus faculty member shall be entitled to lifetime library privileges. In addition, at the discretion of the college or department, the individual may be invited to participate at commencement and other formal ceremonies; may be included in such publications as the college catalog or on department stationery; and may, at the discretion of the institution, be allocated office space and parking privileges dependent on available resources.
4. Service Opportunities: It is intended that emeriti faculty and executives will provide the University community with expert and mature counsel on a variety of matters. Emeriti faculty and executives may serve as guest lecturers and participate in seminars, colloquia, lectures and other scholarly meetings at the invitation of the sponsoring University unit. The University community is encouraged to call upon the services of emeriti faculty and executives to assist with special committees, task forces, projects, etc., that can benefit from their experience and knowledge.
5. Designation: The honorary emeritus/emerita title will be added postpositively for eligible individuals. Thus, for example, retired instructional faculty at UH-Hilo, UH-Mānoa, and UH-West O‘ahu shall be awarded the title of Professor Emeritus or Professor Emerita. Retiring specialists and researchers recognized as emeriti would receive the title of Specialist Emeritus/Specialist Emerita or Researcher Emeritus/Researcher Emerita. All retiring community college faculty will receive the title Professor Emeritus, Community Colleges, or Professor Emerita, Community Colleges. Retiring executives shall be awarded the title consistent with their executive service, such as Chancellor Emeritus/Chancellor Emerita or Vice President Emeritus/Vice President Emerita.
C. An individual may be awarded only one emeritus/emeriti title from the University.
IV. Delegation of Authority
The Board of Regents retains authority to grant emeritus/emerita status upon recommendation of the President.
V. Contact Information
Office of Human Resources
Office of the Vice President for Administration
VI. ReferencesView version abolished on: 2020-08-28
View version abolished on: 2020-10-02
A. Link to superseded Executive Policies in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/ep/
B. Link to Administrative Procedures in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/apm/sysap.php
VII. Exhibits and Appendices
No Exhibits and Appendices found
October 31, 2014
TopicsNo Topics found.