UH System Policies and Procedures
- Board of Regents Policies
- + 1. General Provisions
- + 2. Administration
- + 3. Organization
- + 4. Planning
5. Academic Affairs
- 101. Authority to Award Degrees and Certificates for Programs Authorized by the Board of Regents
- 102. Authority to Implement BOR policy Governing University of Hawai‘i Program Certifications (degrees, diplomas, and certificates) Conferred by the BOR
- 201. Approval of New Academic Programs and Review of Provisional Academic Programs
- 202. Review of Established Programs
- 203. University of Hawaii Program Credentials
- 204. Distance and Online Learning
- 205. Academic Programs Definitions and Guidelines
- 206. Awarding of Honorary Degrees and Regents’ Medals
- 207. Awarding of Emeritus/Emerita Title
- 208. Nonresident Enrollment Cap
- 209. University of Hawai‘i System Student Transfer and Inter-Campus Articulation
- 210. Institutional Accountability and Performance
- 211. Grading During COVID-19 Public Health Crisis
- 212. Foreign Inter-institutional Affiliates (International Agreements)
- 215. Establishment and Review of Centers
- 217. Reinstatement of Deployed Active-Duty Military, Hawaii National Guard, and Reservists
- 219. Department Chairs, Special Program Directors and Chairs of Academic Subdivisions, and Cooperating Teachers/Counselors and Observation/Participation
- 220. Faculty Exchange
- 221. Classification of Faculty
- 222. High Demand
- 223. Graduate Assistants
- 228. Credit Hour
- 229. Programs with Low Number of Degrees Conferred
- 230. Small Undergraduate and Graduate Course Sections
- + 6. Tuition, Financial Assistance, and Fees
- + 7. Student Affairs
- + 8. Business and Finance
- + 9. Personnel
- + 10. Land and Physical Facilities
- + 11. Miscellaneous
- + 12. Research
- Abolished Policies (Post Oct. 2014)
- Archived EP
- Administrative Procedures
UH‐Related Laws and Rules
- Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes (HRS) 304A
- Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) Title 20
Executive Policy 5.208 Executive Policy 5.208
Nonresident Enrollment Cap
Executive Policy Chapter 5, Academic Affairs
Executive Policy EP 5.208, Nonresident Enrollment Cap
Effective Date: October 2014
Prior Dates Amended: October 2013
Responsible Office: Office of the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
Governing Board of Regents Policy RP 5.211, Admissions
Review Date: August 2018
To provide for a mix of students while ensuring preference for qualified Hawai‘i residents in accordance with Board policy.
No policy specific or unique definitions apply.
III. Executive Policy
1. Implements Board policy related to campus ceilings for nonresident undergraduate enrollments (nonresident enrollment caps) at the University of Hawai‘i.
2. Nonresident enrollment caps were first established in the 1970s as part of the University’s Controlled Growth Policy. In January 2011, the President was granted the authority to establish campus ceilings for nonresident undergraduate enrollments in consultation with the Board (BOR Policy RP 5.211.
1. The nonresident enrollment cap is based on undergraduate enrollments only. Graduate and professional school enrollments are excluded from the calculations. The exclusion is consistent with Board policy where graduate and professional programs have a special responsibility to admit the most qualified students while demonstrating that every effort is made to enroll resident applicants who compete favorably in the admissions process.
2. Campus ceilings for nonresident undergraduate enrollment ceilings are 35 percent at the baccalaureate campuses. Undergraduate enrollment ceilings at the community colleges are 15 percent.
The Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs shall monitor the nonresident undergraduate enrollment rates at the campuses each fall semester and work with them, as needed, to remain within their enrollment ceilings.
IV. Delegation of Authority
No specific delegation.
V. Contact Information
Office of the Vice President for Academic Planning and Policy
Telephone: (808) 956-6897
A. Link to superseded Executive Policies in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/ep/
B. Link to Administrative Procedures in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/apm/sysap.php
VII. Exhibits and Appendices
No Exhibits and Appendices found
October 31, 2014
TopicsNo Topics found.