UH System Policies and Procedures
- Board of Regents Policies
- + 1. General Provisions
- 201. Systemwide Policies and Procedures
- 203. Emergency Management
- 210. Use and Management of Information Technology Resources
- 211. University Leadership Orientation
- 212. Management of University Bond System (UBS)
- 213. System and Campus Wide Electronic Channels for Communicating with Students
- 214. Security and Protection of Sensitive Information
- 215. Institutional Data Governance
- 216. Institutional Records Management and Electronic Approvals/Signatures
- 217. HIPAA Policy
- 218. Online Approvals of Internal University Transactions
- + 3. Organization
- + 4. Planning
- + 5. Academic Affairs
- + 6. Tuition, Financial Assistance, and Fees
- + 7. Student Affairs
- + 8. Business and Finance
- + 9. Personnel
- + 10. Land and Physical Facilities
- + 11. Miscellaneous
- + 12. Research
- Abolished Policies (Post Oct. 2014)
- Archived EP
- Administrative Procedures
UH‐Related Laws and Rules
- Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes (HRS) 304A
- Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) Title 20
Executive Policy 2.201 Executive Policy 2.201
Systemwide Policies and Procedures
Executive Policy Chapter 2, Administration
Executive Policy EP 2.201, Systemwide Policies and Procedures
Effective Date: October 2014
Prior Dates Amended: March 1981
Responsible Office: Office of the Vice President for Administration
Governing Board of Regents Policy RP 2.202, Duties of the President
Review Date: August 2017
A. To provide a framework that enables administrators, faculty, staff, and the public to better understand the purposes and relationships between Board of Regents Policies, Executive Policies and Administrative Procedures.
B. To provide an overall structure under which Regents Policies, Executive Policies and Administrative Procedures are organized, issued, maintained and regularly reviewed.
C. To create an index of Regents Policies, Executive Policies and Administrative Procedures governing the administration and operations of the University of Hawai‘i and to ensure University units are informed of new and amended policies and procedures.
D. To identify roles, responsibilities and parameters associated with the creation and maintenance of policies and procedures.
A. Board of Regents Policies (RP) – Broad statements which support the purpose, principles and philosophy of the mission of the University. Regents Policies are the principal basis and authority for policies and procedures issued by the President and/or designated systemwide administrators.
B. Executive Policies (EP) - Express statements issued by the Office of the President governing the internal management and organization of the University. They provide Vice Presidents, Chancellors, University administrators and staff with administrative direction to implement Federal and State statutes and regulations, and policies adopted by the Board of Regents. As provided for in Regents Policies, the
President may delegate authority, as it relates to the administration of Regents Policies.
C. Administrative Procedures (AP) – Procedures that describe how a Federal and/or State Statute, Regents Policy or Executive Policy is to be implemented. The action steps shall clearly and accurately describe the mandated process and specific responsibilities for accomplishing tasks. Additional guidelines may be provided to inform the user in discretionary situations.
D. Memoranda – Notification issued by a system office to provide updates and clarifying information, e.g., deadlines, interpretations, and other operation-focused information, relating to Executive Policies or Administrative Procedures.
E. System Policies – The collective term used to refer to Board of Regents Policies, Executive Policies and Administrative Procedures.
III. Executive Policy
A. Campuses may develop campus-specific policies and procedures provided that such campus-specific policies and procedures are compliant with and conform to requirements and guidelines reflected in applicable system policies.
B. System policies shall be prepared, issued and recorded in accordance with instructions specified for Executive Policies in Administrative Procedure AP 2.201 (insert link here) that includes the electronic posting of current system policies in the prescribed template formats.
C. Regents Policies, Executive Policies and Administrative Procedures shall be reviewed every three years (Chapters 1-4 in year 1; Chapters 5-8 in year 2; and Chapters 9-12 in year 3) with new or amended policies and procedures to be drafted, vetted and adopted at any time, as appropriate, by the designee of the responsible Vice President.
D. Policy Steering Committee
1. The University’s Executive Leadership Team shall serve as the Policy Steering Committee to advise and make recommendations to the President regarding Executive Policies and to provide oversight advice on system policies while ensuring conformity with Board of Regents policies, regulatory mandates and the University’s mission and to conceptualize new policies as may be deemed appropriate.
2. Policy Steering Committee Members
• Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
• Vice President for Administration
• Vice President for Budget and Finance/Chief Financial Officer
• Vice President for Community Colleges
• Vice President for Information Technology/Chief Information Officer
• Vice President for Legal Affairs and University General Counsel
• Vice President for Research and Innovation
3. Policy Steering Committee shall be consulted regarding the concept of any new policies prior to the policies development.
E. Policy Advisory Committee
1. The Policy Advisory Committee shall be established in collaboration with all Vice Presidents and shall be chaired by the Vice President for Administration.
a. The Policy Advisory Committee membership shall generally be comprised of managerial personnel, who serve as designated representatives for their respective system office.
b. The Committee is responsible for collaborating in the maintenance of the systemwide administrative policy framework by providing oversight and direction to policy and Administrative Procedure owners, assuring that policies are coordinated with other policies, written in plain language designed to facilitate understanding, presented within a logical framework, appropriately disseminated, and otherwise assists/coordinates the review and feedback on draft new and revised policies and procedures.
c. Each Vice President shall designate a managerial representative to serve on the Policy Advisory Committee:
• Secretary of the Board of Regents managerial staff designee
• Office of the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs managerial staff designee for academic affairs
• Office of the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs managerial staff designee for student affairs
• Office of the Vice President for Administration managerial staff designee for capital improvements
• Office of the Vice President for Administration managerial staff designee for communications and external affairs
• Office of the Vice President for Administration managerial staff designee for human resources
• Office of the Vice President for Administration managerial staff designee for risk management
• Office of the Vice President for Administration managerial staff designee for Procurement and Real Property Management
• Office of the Vice President for Budget and Finance/CFO managerial staff designee
• Office of the Vice President for Community Colleges managerial staff designee
• Office of the Vice President for Information Technology/CIO managerial staff designee
• Office of the Vice President for Legal Affairs and University General Counsel managerial staff designee
• Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation managerial staff designee
• Office of the Chancellor, University of Hawai‘i at Hilo managerial staff designee
• Office of the Chancellor, University of Hawai‘i at West O‘ahu managerial staff designee
• Other managerial designees and representatives may be included on an ad hoc basis depending on the subject matter of the draft policies or procedures.
2. The Policy Advisory Committee member whose office is creating new or revising existing policies and procedures on behalf of the respective Vice President’s Office shall take the lead for ensuring compliance with policy development and revision procedures as prescribed in Administrative Procedure AP 2.201 to include:
a. Consulting with the Policy Advisory Committee prior to and during the course of creating or revising system policies. Such consultation shall be prior to initiation of consultation with internal constituencies, e.g., All Campus Council of Faculty Senate Chairs, Student Caucus, etc. and external constituencies, e.g., exclusive collective bargaining representatives.
b. To facilitate reviews, proposed changes to existing policy shall be in either Ramseyer format, that is, deletions to be bracketed and language strike-out [sample] and new language underlined or Word Track Change format with changes appearing in color and deletions in strike-out format sample and new language underlined.
1. Vice President for Administration
a. Shall be responsible for coordinating and maintaining the systemwide policies database and numbering schema.
b. Shall be responsible for the maintenance of an archive of abolished or superseded policies and procedures for reference purposes.
2. University Vice Presidents
Vice Presidents shall have the authority to draft and adopt systemwide administrative procedures and other instructions and guidelines consistent within his/her functional scope of responsibility and shall:
a. Be responsible for promulgating, maintaining, interpreting and providing training on policies and procedures in their respective areas of responsibility.
b. Ensure the timely dissemination of new or revised system wide policies and Administrative Procedures.
c. Consult as appropriate with other system offices, internal campus constituencies and departments (e.g., ASUH, GSO, Pukoa Council, etc.) and external agencies that may be affected or will be responsible to implement and execute any part of the policy and procedure.
d. Ensure compliance with the provisions of Chapter 89-9(c) relating to consultations with the exclusive collective bargaining representative which shall be consulted on all matters affecting employee relations, including those that are, or may be, the subject of a rule adopted by the employer or any director.
e. Submit notification of approved new, amended or abolished policies under his/her functional area to the Vice President for Administration for posting on the systemwide policies and procedures webpage
G. Policy/Procedure Numbering System and Templates
1. Attachment A: Board of Regents Policies, Executive Policies and Administrative Procedures Numbering Convention
2. Attachments: Board of Regents, Executive Policy and Administrative Procedure templates
IV. Delegation of Authority
There is no policy-specific delegation of authority.
V. Contact Information
Subject Matter Experts
Office of the Vice President for Administration at 956-6405 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Link to superseded Executive Policies in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/ep/
Link to Administrative Procedures in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/apm/sysap.php
VII. Exhibits and Appendices
No Exhibits and Appendices found
October 31, 2014
TopicsNo Topics found.