UH System Policies and Procedures
- Board of Regents Policies
- + 1. General Provisions
- + 2. Administration
- + 3. Organization
- + 4. Planning
- + 5. Academic Affairs
- + 6. Tuition, Financial Assistance, and Fees
- + 7. Student Affairs
- + 8. Business and Finance
- + 9. Personnel
- + 10. Land and Physical Facilities
- + 11. Miscellaneous
- + 12. Research
- Abolished Policies (Post Oct. 2014)
- Archived EP
- Administrative Procedures
UH‐Related Laws and Rules
- Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes (HRS) 304A
- Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules (HAR) Title 20
Executive Policy 12.227 Executive Policy 12.227
Executive Policy Chapter 12, Research
Executive Policy EP 12.227, Postdoctoral Fellows
Effective Date: October 2014
Dates Amended: August 2014, May 2011
Responsible Office: Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation
Governing Board of Regents Policy RP 9.202, Classification Plans and Compensation Schedules
Review Date: August 2017
To describe the duties and compensation for Postdoctoral Fellows.
No policy specific or unique definitions apply.
III. Executive Policy
1. Postdoctoral Fellows shall be classified and compensated in accordance with the following classification and stipends for Postdoctoral Fellows:
a. Duties and Responsibilities.
(1) Under the supervision of a Principal Investigator of a grant or contract or a senior faculty member, pursues postdoctoral studies by performing experimentation, tests, or observation under close direction in order to acquire the depth of experience and the additional knowledge and skills necessary to become an independent researcher. The range of activity includes those tasks that allow the appointee to profit most from an association with the resident researcher; e.g., assistance with appropriate literature searches, experimental design, analytical observations, data analysis and presentation of results.
Minimum Qualifications: Training represented by a recently awarded doctorate from a college or university of recognized standing in a field appropriate to the fellowship involved.
(2) If the Principal Investigator is engaged in activities that are governed by United States (US) Export Control Laws and Regulations (including but not limited to: (1) International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Parts 120-130), implemented by the US Department of State; (2) Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 770-774), implemented by the US Department of Commerce; and (3) Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC), implemented by the US Department of the Treasury), the Principal Investigator shall provide adequate supervision of the Postdoctoral Fellow so as to ensure compliance with University of Hawai’i Export Control policies as defined in EP 12.218, and prevent the disclosure of export-controlled technical data or technology to foreign nationals.
b. Compensation - Stipends.
(1) Postdoctoral fellows receive stipends as a subsistence allowance to help defray living expenses during the research training experience. The awards are not provided as a condition of employment with either the Federal government or the University of Hawai'i.
(2) The stipend for postdoctoral fellows supported from extramural grants or contracts shall be that amount allowable by the agency providing the funds.
(3) If the agency does not stipulate an amount, the Principal Investigator shall set the stipend in a range determined by the Vice President for Research and Innovation, such range to be based on comparability with portable fellowship stipends provided by Federal granting agencies.
(4) Postdoctoral fellows supported by general funds shall receive a stipend equal to the minimum stipend in the range determined according to b. above.
IV. Delegation of Authority
The President or designee shall have the authority to make appointments that conform to policy.
V. Contact Information
Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation
Phone Number: (808) 956-5006
A. Link to superseded Executive Policies in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/ep/
B. Link to Administrative Procedures in old format https://www.hawaii.edu/policy/archives/apm/sysap.php
VII. Exhibits and Appendices
No Exhibits and Appendices found
October 31, 2014
Topicspostdoctoral; appointments; postdoc