Export Controls are U.S. laws and regulations which control conditions under which certain strategically important information, technologies, and commodities can be transferred: (1) overseas (outside of the U.S.) to anyone (foreigners and U.S. citizens); or (2) to foreign nationals inside of the United States.
As an institution of higher learning, there are many exceptions for the University of Hawaii applicable to most export control regulations. However, it is necessary for everyone within the UH community to : (1) be knowledgeable about Export Control issues; (2) know how to recognize Export Control issues; and (3) understand the resources available to deal with Export Control issues.
The UH community should contact the UH Export Controls Office if they have any questions, particularly if any of the following is applicable:
- Work or research involves export-controlled information or technologies (i.e., military or space-related information)
- Participation of foreign nationals in research activities
- Anything (items or paperwork) marked “Export-Controlled,” “ITAR” or “EAR”
- Research activities contractual restrictions on publication, foreign-national participation, proprietary information, etc.
- Collaborating with foreign researchers, institutions or organizations
- Visits to research laboratories by foreign nationals
- Research involving nuclear, chemical, biological, weaponry, missiles, unmanned vehicles or encryption Technologies
- Research on ships
- International shipping
- International travel
- Wiring funds to foreign banks/entities/persons
All questions and issues related to Export Control should be directed to:
Leonard R. Gouveia Jr.
Administrative and Export Controls Officer
Office of the Vice President for Research
Manoa Innovation Center
2800 Woodlawn Drive, Suite 201
Honolulu, HI 96822
tel (808) 956-4740
To assist investigators with export control questions and strengthen the university’s export control program, the Office of Export Controls has recently hired two staff members:
- Lauren Murai, Export Control Assistant, tel 956-9036
- Jennifer Halaszyn, Export Control Officer, tel 956-2495