Finalist Candidates Selected for UH West Oahu Chancellor
Candidates invited to UHWO for meetings and public receptions throughout SeptemberUniversity of Hawaiʻi-West Oʻahu
Kristen Bonilla, (808) 956-5039
External Affairs & University Relations
The search advisory committee for the position of chancellor of the University of HawaiʻióWest Oʻahu (UHWO) has identified three candidates for the position. The candidates will take part in public meetings, discussions with various groups and formal interviews during September.
"We are delighted with the caliber of candidates who indicated their interest in leading UHWO into the future," said Linda Johnsrud, UHWO acting chancellor and chair of the search advisory committee. "We are confident the university community will be pleased with the finalists, and we look forward to hearing their input."
The three finalists are Gene Awakuni, vice provost for student affairs at Stanford University; Betsy Boze, dean of the School of Business and professor of marketing at the University of Texas, Brownsville; and flo wiger, UHWO interim vice chancellor for academic affairs.
Awakuni has been vice provost for student affairs at Stanford University since 2001. Awakuni has received doctorate and master‘s degrees in counseling and consulting psychology from Harvard University, and a master‘s degree in clinical social work and a bachelor‘s degree in political science from UH Mānoa. Awakuni‘s previous administrative experience includes positions at Columbia University as vice president for student services, and at Cal State Polytechnic, Pomona, as vice president for student affairs and vice president for advancement.
Boze has been dean of the University of Texas, Brownsville‘s School of Business since 1994, where she also serves as a professor of marketing. She received a doctoral degree in marketing from the University of Arkansas, and a master‘s degree in business administration and a bachelor‘s degree in psychology from Southern Methodist University. Previously, she served as chair of the Business Administration Department at the University of Alaska, Anchorage.
wiger has served as interim vice chancellor of academic affairs at UHWO since February 2004. She received a doctorate in higher education from the University of Minnesota, and a master‘s degree in counseling and guidance and a bachelor‘s degree in education from North Dakota State. Her previous teaching and administrative experience includes positions at Maui Community College, where she served as vice chancellor, acting provost and dean of instruction, and at Metropolitan State, where she served as chair and professor of ethnic studies.
The candidates will be meeting with various groups and taking part in interviews throughout September. Receptions for the candidates, which will include formal remarks from the candidates, are open to the public and scheduled as follows:
· flo wiger — Tuesday, Sept. 7, 4 to 5 p.m.
· Betsy Boze — Tuesday, Sept. 14, 4 to 5 p.m.
· Gene Awakuni — Friday, Sept. 17, 10 to 11 a.m.
The receptions will be held at the UHWO campus lanai.
Members of the search advisory committee for the UHWO chancellor position include:
· CHAIR — Linda K. Johnsrud, Acting Chancellor, UH West Oʻahu
· Ross Cordy, Associate Professor, Hawaiian/Pacific Studies, UH West Oʻahu
· Suzanne Falgout, Professor, Anthropology, UH West Oʻahu
· Eric Flower, Librarian, UH West Oʻahu
· Shirley Ishikawa, Secretary, Chancellor‘s Office, UH West Oʻahu
· Tom Joaquin, Vice President, Hawaiian Electric
· Anita Korenaga, School Counselor (retired), Waiʻanae High School
· Nancy Nakasone, Administrative Officer, Business Office, UH West Oʻahu
· Ernest Oshiro, Professor, Social Sciences, UH West Oʻahu
· Jean Osumi, Dean, Student Services, UH West Oʻahu
· Ross Prizzia, Professor, Public Administration, UH West Oʻahu
· William Puette, Director, CLEAR, UH West Oʻahu
· David Rae, Vice President, Public Affairs, Campbell Estates
· Mark Silliman, Chancellor, Leeward Community College
· Deborah Stephens, Student, UH West Oʻahu
For more information about the UHWO chancellor search, visit www.hawaii.edu/executivesearch/UHWestOahuChancellor.
NOTE TO MEDIA:
"flo wiger" is the correct way to print this candidate‘s name (uses lowercase in respect for her Native American background).
For more information, visit: http://www.hawaii.edu/executivesearch/UHWestOahuChancellor