Finalist Candidates for School of Social Work Dean Invited to UH Manoa for Meetings and Public PresentationsUniversity of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
UH Manoa Chancellor's Office
Finalist candidates have been identified for the position of Dean of the School of Social Work at UH Mānoa. They have been scheduled for campus interviews beginning next week.
Search advisory committee chair Andrew Hashimoto said, "The committee is pleased to recommend these outstanding candidates for consideration. Each would bring different strengths and experiences to the School, and we look forward to engaging the larger social work community in identifying the best match for the School, the university and the community."
The finalists are:
· David A. Cherin — Director-Chair, Associate Professor, California State University Bakersfield, Department of Social Work. Dr. Cherin earned his BA and MSW degrees at California State University, Long Beach, and a Ph.D. at the University of Southern California.
· Mitchell T. Maki — Acting Dean, College of Health and Human Services, California State University, Los Angeles. Dr. Maki received a BS degree from the School of Public Affairs at USC, and his MSW and Ph.D. in Social Work from USC.
· Jon K. Matsuoka — Interim Dean and Professor, School of Social Work, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. Dr. Matsuoka earned a BS degree in Social Science at Humboldt State University, his MSW at the University of Washington, and a Master‘s degree in Psychology and a Ph.D. in Social Work and Psychology at the University of Michigan.
Additional biographical information about the candidates and about the search process is available on the Web at http://www.hawaii.edu/executivesearch/socialwork. Each of the candidates will be on campus for meetings beginning next week, and each has been scheduled for a public presentation on the following schedule:
· Jon K. Matsuoka — Wednesday, April 28, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Art Auditorium
· David A. Cherin — Friday, April 30, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Art Auditorium
· Mitchell T. Maki — Tuesday, May 4, 4:00-5:00 p.m., Architecture Auditorium
Each candidate will speak on the topic, "A Vision for Social Work Education and Research in Hawaiʻi," with a question and answer period to follow. Interested members of the community are invited and encouraged to attend.
The members of the search advisory committee are:
· Andrew Hashimoto, Chair, Dean, College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources
· Paul Adams, Professor, School of Social Work
· Collette Brown, Professor, School of Social Work
· Ann Ito, Director, KOKUA Program
· Palama Lee, Director, Native Hawaiian Health Scholarship Program
· Peter Mataira, Assistant Professor, School of Social Work
· Ron Matayoshi, Director, Practicum, School of Social Work
· Lynn Maunakea, Executive Director, Institute for Human Services
· Diane Mitschke, Doctoral Student
· Paula Morelli, Associate Professor, School of Social Work
· Patricia Snyder, Administrator, Social Services Division, Department of Human Services
For more information, visit: http://www.hawaii.edu/executivesearch/socialwork