Leeward Community College Family Fun Fair goes green
Public is invited to annual Family Fun Fair on Saturday, Nov. 15Leeward Community College
Leeward Community College
This year, the theme is "Going Green," with an array of informational exhibits and practical activities dealing with sustainability and environmental responsibility. A unique feature will be drive-through, drop-off recycling of cans and bottles, printer cartridges, cell phones, laptops, household goods and clothing. The 2009 New Car Show features energy efficient models. A new feature of the fair is a Local Food Market, offering everything from organic produce to locally crafted baked goods and seasonings. Environmental activities will also be featured in Discovery Square.
The cornerstone of the Fair is "Discovery Square," a bustling courtyard filled with more than 30 hands-on, interactive learning activities for the entire family. Back by popular demand is "CSI Leeward," a mock crime scene investigation where fair-goers collect and analyze evidence and clues to capture the perpetrator of a dastardly crime. New exhibits include "Rocket-On," creating your own rocket and harnessing wind power for blast off, and "Re-Works of Art," a crafty approach to creating wearable art and collectibles using recycled materials.
Other Discovery Square activities include:
- Pliable Polymer — Squiggle, squeeze and turn liquids into solids, creating your own polymer worms or a bag of the silliest putty.
- Spaghetti Engineering — Build structures and bridges with food!
- Instant Snow — Snow in paradise? Make snow magically appear.
- Chemistry Magic — Freeze a flower or shrink a balloon with liquid nitrogen. Learn the "tricks" of real science.
In addition to Discovery Square, the Family Fun Fair offers a wide variety of exhibits, food and entertainment, including
- Cooking Demonstrations
- Scholastic Book Fair
- Local Food Market
- Native Hawaiian arts & crafts
- 2009 New Car Show with special customized cars
- Food booths will offer a wide variety of food including Vietnamese, Korean, and Mexican, along with fair favorites, shave ice and waffle dogs
- Galactic Games, a galaxy of carnival games
- Tours of the Fossil & Mineral Exhibits
- Continuous entertainment
- Native Hawaiian, ornamental and orchid plant sales
- Oahu Master Gardeners on hand to answer gardening questions, and UH vegetable seeds for sale.
- Water conservation education and xeriscape landscaping
For more information, visit: http://www.leeward.hawaii.edu