UH Board of Regents announces formation of selection advisory committee for next University of Hawaii presidentUniversity of Hawaiʻi
External Affairs & University Relations
KAHULUI, Maui, Hawaiʻi — At its monthly meeting held today at Maui Community College, University of Hawaiʻi Board of Regents (BOR) Chair Allan Landon announced that a selection advisory committee has been formed to begin the process to select the next president of the University of Hawaiʻi System.
BOR members that will serve on the committee include Regent James J.C. Haynes II, Regent Kitty Lagareta and Regent Ronald K. Migita. Donna Tanoue, vice chairman at Bank of Hawaiʻi, will serve as chair of the selection advisory committee. Other members include:
- Michael Chun, president and headmaster, Kamehameha Schools — Kapalama Campus;
- Terri Fujii, managing partner, Ernst & Young LLP;
- David Karl, professor, School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology, UH Mānoa;
- Naomi Losch, associate professor, Kawaihuelani Center for Hawaiian Language, UH Mānoa;
- John Morton, vice president for community colleges, University of Hawaiʻi System;
- Russell Okata, former executive director, Hawaiʻi Government Employees Association;
- Jay Shidler, founder and managing partner, The Shidler Group; and
- Shanah Trevenna, graduate student and student sustainability coordinator, UH Mānoa
The first steps for the committee will be to define the process to be followed and to identify the desired credentials for the president. Landon noted that the size of the committee may expand if needed and as necessary.
The term of current UH President David McClain ends on July 31, 2009.