UH Women's Campus Club announces 2006 grants
Awards will be made in memory of Lorrie MortimerUniversity of Hawaiʻi
UH Women's Campus Club
HONOLULU — The University of Hawaiʻi Women‘s Campus Club recently announced the recipients of its 2006 grant awards, totaling $17,160. This year, the membership has decided the annual allocations be made in memory of Lorrie Mortimer, who was a loyal supporter of the club.
The grants will go to the following UH departments:
· UH Mānoa‘s School of Earth Science and Technology received a total of $2,723 to purchase computer and audio equipment for global environmental science "podcast" projects and for a microphone system to be used aboard a research vessel.
· UH Mānoa‘s Kennedy Theatre and Dance program received a $3,000 award to go towards costs for a Shakespeare production and equipment to transfer videos to digital format.
· UH Mānoa‘s English department received $5,786 to cover the cost of facilities rental at Campus Center for the 2006 Celebrate Reading Festival and to purchase a data projector, screen and installation materials for its colloquia room.
· Windward CC‘s English and Language Arts department was awarded $1,000 for printing and binding of a special edition of Rainbird, a literary and art journal.
· Windward CC‘s library received $2,500 to support its Common Book Program.
· Leeward CC‘s Arts and Humanities department received a total of $2,151 to support its 2006 International Festival focusing on the Philippines Centennial and to purchase LCD projectors and lamps for classroom use.
The Women‘s Campus Club was founded in 1920 to provide service to the University of Hawaiʻi community. Each year the club solicits grant applications from UH Mānoa and community college departments and organizations with special needs that cannot be met by operating budgets. Since 1970, the club‘s two main service projects — the Exchange newsletter and the UH Thrift Shop — have generated enough revenue to fund the club‘s annual grants.
The UH Thrift Shop is located on the UH Mānoa campus, behind the Biomedical Sciences Building and across from the UH Credit Union. It is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesdays, and noon to 3 p.m. on Thursdays (validated parking available). The Exchange Newsletter carries announcements about housing available or wanted for rent or exchange. It is available at Bachman Annex 2 or on the Web at www.soest.hawaii.edu/rentals.
Membership in the Women‘s Campus Club is open to UH faculty, staff, retirees and their spouses. Dues are $10 a year or $25 for three years. For more information, call Christian Peterson at 395-5580.