Main Stage 2010 » Kabuki: The Vengeful Sword
Ise Ondo Koi no Netaba
Written by Chikamatsu Tokuzo
Translation and Project Direction by Julie Iezzi
- Onoe Kikunobu, Onoe Kikunobu Dance Company (choreographer)
- Onoe Kikunobukazu (assistant choreographer)
- Kashiwa Senjiro, Kabuki percussionist for the Kikugoro Theatre
- Troupe (kabuki percussion)
- Kenny Endo, Taiko of the Pacific (percussion)
- Howard Asao, (nagauta shamisen)
- Hitoshi Hamatani, 35 year veteran of the National Theatre of Japan (design and construction consultant)
The Vengeful Sword is a traditional kabuki that tells of a samurai in search of an important missing heirloom sword and what happens when he discovers its bloodthirsty nature: once unsheathed, it must kill! Fully staged, beautifully costumed, with live authentic music, stylized fighting, and everything from love to comedy to high drama, this kabuki will be the first presented in seven years and continues the 87-year tradition of HAWAIĠI KABUKI.
Tickets and ShowtimesApr. 8, Apr. 9, Apr. 14, Apr. 15, Apr. 16, Apr. 21, Apr. 22, Apr. 23 at 8 PM.
Feb. 17, Apr. 24 at 2 PM.
General Admission: $22.00
Seniors, Military, UH Faculty/Staff: $20.00
UHM Students: $5.00
Tickets are available online, at outlets, and by phone beginning September 13. Tickets available at Kennedy Theatre beginning March 28.
Free Pre-show Chats April 9 and 23, 7 PM.