Faculty Projects and Publications
Stephen A. Karl
- Lab: (808) 236-7401
- Fax: (808) 236-7443
- Email: email@example.com
- Hawai‘i Institute of Marine Biology
- PO Box 1346
- Kane‘ohe, HI 96744
Download Stephen A. Karl’s CV, including lists of past and present students, grants, and
publications (Word document).
- Ph.D. 1992, Genetics, University of Georgia, Athens (Dissertation Advisor: John C. Avise)
- Molecular Ecology, Evolution, Conservation and Population Genetics
- My main interests are in evolution, population genetics, and conservation biology. I use molecular techniques (mainly the analysis of
mitochondrial and nuclear DNA) to evaluate processes operating within and among natural populations. My goal is to provide information on the
evolution and ecology of animals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to obtain by classical methodology. My research is based in the
philosophy that much insight into the secret lives of animals can be gained by combining ecology, genetics and molecular biology.
- National Science Foundation, Graduate Research Fellowship, Genetics and Evolutionary Biology Panel, 9 – 14 February 2011.
- Chair, HIMB diving and boat safety committee 2009 – open
- HIMB representative on the University of Hawaii, Manoa, Institute for Animal Care and Use Committee 2009 – open.
- Chair, University of Hawaii, Department of Zoology, Graduate Admission Committee 2007
- Associate Editor for the Journal of Heredity 2007 – open
- Associate Editor for The Open Conservation Biology Journal 2007 – open
- Chair, Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology Graduate Student Scholarship Committee 2006 – open.
- National Ecological Observatory Network Workshop, November 29 – 30 2006
- Associate Editor for Evolution, 2000 – 2003.
- National Science Foundation, Population Biology Grant Panel, 17 – 19 October 2001.
- National Science Foundation, National Ecological Observatory Network Workshop, 10 - 11 March 2000.
- National Science Foundation Dissertation Improvement Grant Panelist, February 1998.
- Reviewer for numerous manuscripts and grants from national and international Journals and organizations.
Professional Society Affiliations
- Society for the Study of Evolution
[ Top of the page ]