Jump to a section:
Focus Class Lists
FAQs about Focus
Contemporary Ethical Issues
Hawaiian, Asian, & Pacific Issues
- Priority Focus deadlines:
- Spring 2018 classes: Fri., Sept. 15, 2017
- Summer 2018 classes: Fri., Jan. 12, 2018
- Fall 2018 classes: Fri., Feb. 2, 2018
- A searchable Focus status list (accurate as of 1/17/17) is available. Instructors with Focus approval for a course through Spring 2018 or later (check the Focus status list above) will have that designation placed on their Spring 2018 section(s) by the General Education Office provided that they are listed in Banner as the instructor of record before students begin registering for Spring 2018 classes.
- Proposals submitted between the priority and final Focus deadlines will be
reviewed by the Boards after review of the "priority" proposals is
complete, with the understanding that there may not be time for the
negotiation that is sometimes necessary to secure approval.
- Requests to remove an active Focus designation from a Spring 2018 section must be received by the General Education Office by Friday, October 13 for Fall 2017, before the designation has been “advertised” to students on Class Availability.
SPRING 2018 FOCUS PROPOSAL FORMS
UHM faculty members-
"INSTRUCTOR-Based" Focus form should be
submitted by an individual instructor when that instructor wants a new Focus
designation or needs to renew an expired designation for
his/her Summer or Fall 2017 course.
Chairpersons/Course Coordinators only-
form should be submitted by the Department Chair or Focus Coordinator when a department has a
course that inherently meets the Focus
Hallmarks. Upon approval, all sections of
the course will be designated with the requested
Focus. Individual instructors will not have
to submit Focus forms.
Click here for examples of approved course
descriptions for courses with a course-based Focus
"STAFF-Based" form should be submitted by the Department Chair or Focus Coordinator when a department
has unstaffed sections of a course that traditionally
have a Focus designation. Upon approval, the unstaffed sections
will be designated with the requested Focus. Once
instructors are assigned, they must submit their own
"regular" Focus form to explain how they will teach the course
in accordance with the Focus Hallmarks.
Click here for a Fall 2017 Focus Form (required for newly assigned instructors of Spring Focus sections)
Click on a Focus area for information and the proposal form (UHM
Focus Class Lists (by semester)
Please be advised
that Focus sections vary every semester and designations may be changed
(added or removed) until registration begins. Students
should consult "Class Availability"
register for the most up-to-date Focus information.
Focus section lists can also be found at STAR Academic Logic DB (limited-access website):
Enrollment Management - Course Availability -
updated July 24, 2017; report errors to