Skip to main content | Skip to main navigation



Every year, each person in the U.S. is responsible for submitting a federal income tax statement (“filing a tax return”) to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of the U.S. Treasury Department. Additionally, any person who earns income from Hawaii sources must file a state tax return with the State of Hawaii Department of Taxation. See General Guidelines of U.S. & Hawaii Taxes for Nonresident Aliens for general information on these procedures.

IMPORTANT: UH staff cannot assist you with completing your tax returns. These pages contain general information only. If you need assistance with preparing your tax return, contact the Internal Revenue Service, State Department of Taxation, or a certified public accountant.