Skip to main content | Skip to main navigation


Permanent Residence Process

A lawful permanent resident (LPR) is a foreign national who has been authorized to live and work permanently in the U.S. There are different ways a foreign national can obtain permanent residence. The approval of a petition filed in an employment-based immigrant category is one way a foreign national may become eligible to apply for LPR status.

UH sponsors international faculty, researchers, and staff in tenure-track, tenured or permanent positions in the following employment-based immigrant categories:

EB-1 Outstanding Professors or Researchers

EB-2 Professionals with Advanced Degrees

EB-3 Professionals

Although 5 employment-based immigrant preference categories exist, UH generally does not sponsor employees in categories that are not listed above. Consult with FSIS if you have questions about UH sponsorship in other employment-based immigrant categories.