Welcome to FSIS!
We provide immigration assistance to University of Hawaii (UH) departments and international scholars and employees across the UH System. As a UH office, we are unable to provide immigration advising to individuals who are affiliated with outside organizations, such as the East-West Center, RCUH, and non-UH institutions.
Immigration laws change
frequently. It is important that UH departments ensure all immigration requirements are
met before finalizing plans to recruit or offer employment or payment
to a foreign national. Immigration requirements need to be considered in these types of situations:
- Offering permanent or temporary employment to a foreign national
- Hosting a visiting international scholar, either paid or unpaid
- Sponsoring an international guest lecturer or artist
- Inviting an international symposium or conference participant
- Inviting an international colleague to UH for short-term collaboration
The Administrative/Personnel Officer (AO/PO) in most UH units is FSIS’s main point of contact. UH departments requiring assistance with immigration matters should first consult with their AO/PO on the proper procedures. See APM 9.610 for the UH administrative procedures for recruitment, selection, and appointment of foreign nationals.