Welcome to FSIS!
We provide immigration assistance to University of Hawaii (UH) departments and international scholars and employees across the UH System. As a UH office organized under the UHM Office of International and Exchange Programs of the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, we are unable to provide immigration advising to individuals who are affiliated with outside organizations, such as the East-West Center, RCUH, and non-UH institutions.
Immigration laws change
frequently. It is important that UH departments ensure all immigration requirements are
met before finalizing plans to recruit or offer employment or payment
to a foreign national. Immigration requirements need to be considered in these types of situations:
- Offering permanent or temporary employment to a foreign national
- Hosting a visiting international scholar, either paid or unpaid
- Sponsoring an international guest lecturer or artist
- Inviting an international symposium or conference participant
- Inviting an international colleague to UH for short-term collaboration
The Administrative/Personnel Officer (AO/PO) in most UH units is FSIS’s main point of contact. UH departments requiring assistance with immigration matters should first consult with their AO/PO on the proper procedures. See APM 9.610 for the UH administrative procedures for recruitment, selection, and appointment of foreign nationals.