Language Placement Testing
Testing and Procedures
Students with no prior Chinese, Japanese or Korean language experience should enroll in CHN, JPN or KOR 101 (or 111). If your language proficiency is judged to be beyond the 101-level on the first day of class, you will be placed in a higher level course. Students who are placed in 102 or a higher level may complete the language requirement faster and earn up to 16 back-credits, which can be counted toward graduation (Restrictions apply: see the Manoa Back Credit Policy). Students starting from 101 will receive no back-credits. A placement adjustment made in the first week of class does not guarantee a seat in the course appropriate for the student.
Students with prior experience in the language (i.e., formal classroom training, residence in the country of its use, cohabitation with a native speaker, etc.) are required to take a placement test.
Continuing and Incoming UH Manoa students
Students with prior experience in Chinese, Japanese or Korean language and who are new to the UHM program are required to take a placement exam to determine which course is appropriate for each student’s language background and ability. To register for a placement exam, please use our Exam Registration Form.
- Students with no prior Chinese, Japanese or Korean language experience should register for CHN, JPN or KOR 101 (or 111). No further steps are necessary.
- Students who have taken a language course at UH Manoa can simply register for the next class in the sequence.
- If you are unable to attend one of the following exam dates, please contact our Undergraduate Adviser, Mr. Todd Ashida; email@example.com, 808-956-2066.
Spring 2014 Placement Exam Dates:
Register for one of the following exam dates using our Exam Registration Form.
** PLEASE NOTE**
- If you have already registered for the Japanese placement exam prior to July 22, 2014, please report to Moore Hall 153A for your placement exam.
- All students registering on or after July 22 should report to Moore 257.
|August 6||10:30 am||Moore 257|
|August 13||10:30 am||Moore 257|