Professor, Japanese Language
Moore Hall 201
Ph.D.; Leningrad State University, 1987, Historical Japanese linguistics and Premodern Japanese literature
M.A.; Leningrad State University, 1983, Structural and applied linguistics
- The Old Japanese language, literature, and philology, with the special emphasis on the Man’yōshū
- Classical Japanese
- Ainu and Ryūkyūan languages
- Old and Middle Korean
- Japanese and Korean historical linguistics
- Inner Asian historical linguistics with the special emphasis on Manchu and Old Turkic
- Comparative linguistics methodology
Man’yōshū, Book 14, a new English translation containing the original text, kana transliteration. romanization, glossing and commentary. Folkestone & Leiden: Global Oriental/Brill. XVIII+269 pp. 2012.
Koreo-Japonica: A re-evaluation of a common genetic origin. Honolulu: University of Hawai’i Press. XVI+278 pp. 2010.
A Descriptive and Comparative Grammar of Western Old Japanese. part 2: Adjectives, Verbs, Adverbs, Conjunctions, Particles, Postpositions, and Indices. XIX+988 pp., Folkestone: Global Oriental. 2009.
A Reference Grammar of Classical Japanese Prose. London: Routledge/Curzon Press, 2003, XIX+476 pp. Revised and improved second edition to appear at Global Oriental, forthcoming 2013.