- About Us
- Contact Us
Guidelines for International Post-graduate Research Students
The following is the procedure for students enrolled in post-graduate degree programs at foreign universities who wish to apply for visiting status in our department for the sole purpose of conducting research, without being enrolled in any of our courses or degree programs. Those wanting to formally enroll in any of our courses should review the Graduate Division’s Visiting Graduate Student requirements.
Applicants must submit the following documents to the Department Chair a few months prior to intended visit to provide sufficient time for visa processing:
- A current curriculum vitae
- A one-page statement describing your proposed research project and the reasons why this department would be a suitable venue for carrying it out. If you have already discussed your plans with one of our graduate faculty members and that person has expressed interest in working with you, please include the faculty member’s name.
- An official TOEFL score, if you are not a native speaker of English or have not been awarded a degree from a university in an English-speaking country
- Since the University of Hawaii will not be able to provide financial aid, you will need to provide documentation of sufficient financial resources (a minimum of $1,500 per month) in order to be eligible to receive a Research Scholar (J-1) visa
These materials will be reviewed by members of our department’s graduate program faculty in the relevant field of study. If your proposal is accepted, the Department Chair will issue you a formal letter of invitation specifying the time period for your visit (not to exceed one year) and naming a member of our faculty who will be responsible for serving as liaison during the application process and supervising your research work while you are here.
- You will be required to give a presentation related to your research project.
- You may be permitted to unofficially audit classes with the consent of the course instructor, but you will not be formally enrolled or receive academic credit.
- You will not be permitted to conduct research in our language classes without first requesting and receiving explicit permission to do so from the Department Chair.