- About Us
- Contact Us
News items from before July 2012.
- June 7, 2012 - The 7th International Conference and Workshops on Technology and Chinese Language Teaching in the 21st Century(TCLT7), chaired by Professor Song Jiang, and the International Symposium on Chinese Linguistics and Language Teaching were successfully completed last month.
- May 17, 2012 – Our condolences to the family of Professor Emeritus Agnes Niyekawa, who passed away suddenly last week. Please read her obituary here.
- May 14, 2012 – Phi Beta Kappa, is the oldest and most prestigious undergraduate academic honorary society in the nation. Out of perhaps 2300 graduating students this academic year, PBK has invited only 104 to membership. The criteria are stiff: a 3.70 cumulative GPA, evidence of intellectual diversity at the upper-division, 60 credits in residence at Manoa. The Alpha Chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa Society in Hawaii has invited the following EALL graduating majors to join the 2012 membership and all of them have accepted:
Mr. Tyler Lanigan (Chinese), Ms. Jillian Holden (Japanese), Ms. Jennifer Lau (Japanese), Ms. Nina Shao (Japanese), and Mr. Ty Yamaguchi (Japanese).
- April 27, 2012 – The results of the 14th Annual Japanese Poetry Contest have been announced. A warm congratualations to this year’s winners.
- April 22, 2012 – Congratulations to Mr. Haruki Murakami, who will be presented with a UH Honorary Degree during the commencement ceremony on May 12.
- February 23, 2012 – The Dept of East Asian Languages and Literatures is proud to participate in the Manoa Experience on Saturday February 25, 2012, 9am – 12 Noon. This important event is an open day for prospective students and their families to visit the campus to meet department representatives and learn about academic programs and the Manoa community. Teachers and students from the Chinese, Korean and Japanese sections will be available to discuss plans and options and welcome freshmen to our department. Leaflets and brochures will be available and videos will showcase exciting cultural events of the department. We look forward to welcoming you and your ohana to Manoa! For more information (incl. parking and maps), please visit the Manoa Experience website or visit the Facebook page.
- February 17, 2012 – Learn about the Japanese Language Tutoring Program for Spring 2012
- January 17, 2012 – The Colleges of Arts & Sciences and Alumni Association (CASAA) is now accepting applications for the following awards:
- Arts & Sciences Student Research Awards (For graduate and undergraduate students)
- CASAA Academic Opportunities Award (For undergraduate students)
- CASAA Academic Opportunities Award (For undergraduate students)
The deadline: March 8, 2012
For more information, please check out the CASAA’s scholarship/award webpage.
- January 16, 2012 – A warm welcome to our new Undergraduate Advisor, Mr. Duane Henry, who has taken the place of Mr. Ray Kaneyama. Mr. Henry moved here from Scotland in 2002 to do his MA and began working at Manoa as a lecturer in 2003. Thereafter he worked as a professional development coordinator at both the Center for Teaching Excellence and the General Education Office. Mr. Henry also has a background in Japanese language and attended Kansai Gaidai University during study abroad. His father-in-law is Korean, but Mr. Henry says “I know the Korean food better than the language.” Mr. Henry believes in the importance of advising to a students’ successful academic career. He says, “advising is at the core of how students move through the system efficiently and get the best out of it.” He can be reached at 956-2066 (Moore 378) or email@example.com.
- November 14, 2011 – Professor Ho-min Sohn has been honored by the Korean government with the “Cultural Award” for his contribution to promoting han’gul internationally. The award consists of a medal and a certificate and both were presented to him on October 9, 2011, during the ceremony celebrating the 565th anniversary of this precious and unique Korean script.
He has alsobeen named the winner of the third Korea Foundation Award. The award recognizes Professor Sohn’s long-standing contributions to training next-generation educators of Korean language and laying the foundations for Korean language education in the United States. He receives a commemorative plaque along with a prize of $10,000. The award ceremony will be held in Seoul on December 15, 2011.
- October 27, 2011 – Starting Spring 2012, language class placement procedure will be changed. Please view the Placement page for more information.
- October 18, 2011 – Effective immediately, EALL now has a new policy and revised procedures for observing EALL classes for research purposes. Please click on Class Observation Policy for more information.
- October 04, 2011 – Learn about the Japanese Language Tutoring Program for Fall 2011
- June 03, 2011 – EALL is pleased to welcome two Visiting Scholars for AY 2011-12:
- Prof. Sook Suh, Visiting Professor from Ewha Women’s University, Seoul, Korea, will be teaching modern Korean literature, she can be reached at 956-2072 (Moore 389)
- Mr. Haruki Murakami, Visiting Writer in Residence.
- June 03, 2011 – A warm welcome to our new faculy members Dr. Ken Ito, Professor in Japanese Literature, and Dr. Yun Peng, Assistant Professor in Chinese Literature. They will be joining us August 1, 2011.
- May 15, 2011 – Congratulations to Prof. Joel Cohn for accepting his appointment as the new Graduate Chair of EALL. He will begin his duties on August 15, 2011. During the summer periods, the three Section Heads in EALL will act as Interim Graduate Chairs for their respective sections: Prof. Song Jiang (Chinese), Prof. Arthur Thornhill (Japanese), and Prof. Homin Sohn (Korean).
- March 06, 2011 – Updated Placement Tests for Summer 2011 and Fall 2011 Registration.
- October 01, 2010 – Updated Placement Tests for Spring 2011 Registration and the October EALL newsletter.
- October 08, 2010 – Learn about the Japanese Language Tutoring Program for Fall 2010
- Sept 15, 2010 – Read about Student Learning Outcomes
- Aug 11, 2010 - Departmental Meeting August 19th Agenda
- Mar 29, 2010 – Updated Placement Tests For Fall 2010 Registration
- Mar 29, 2010 – Updated Placement Tests For Summer 2010 Registration
- Dec 17, 2009- Japanese National Honor Society list
- Nov 23, 2009- Video for the 2009 Nippon Culture Day
- Oct 19, 2009 – Updated Placement Tests For Spring 2010 Registration
- July 8, 2009 – Updated Requirements for Certificate in Korean.
- May 28, 2009 – Updated Undergraduate Korean Programs section.
- May 8, 2009 – The Intent to Register as a Graduate Student in the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures form is now available.
- Apr. 29, 2009 – Updated Undergraduate Japanese Programs section
- Apr. 20, 2009 – EALL department newsletter for April 2009
- Apr. 15, 2009 – Update on “Representing EALL Graduate Students”
- Apr. 8, 2009 – View photos taken during the 2009 UH Korean Culture Day
- Mar. 13, 2009 – Updated placement test schedule for the Japanese section
- Jan. 16, 2009 – Audio files for JPN 211 and JPN 212
- Jan. 14, 2009 – Audio files for JPN 111 and JPN 112
- Jan. 12, 2009 – Links to BRIX sites courses for the Spring 2009 semester (see course pages for Chinese,Japanese, and Korean)
- Jan. 11, 2009 – New door card and schedule/contact form for Spring 2009
- Oct. 28, 2008 – Video for the 2008 Nippon Culture Day