Na Pa'i Ki'i o Brother BertramJanuary 17, 2014 - May 16, 2014
Mānoa Campus, Hamilton Library Alcove
Brother Gabriel Bertram Bellinghausen was a Marianist community director sent from Dayton, Ohio to help establish Catholic Education in Hawai’i and later became the first Marianist principal of Saint Louis College, currently known as Saint Louis School. His collection of photos covers the period 1883 – 1905.
Brother Bellinghausen’s hobby was photography. He took photos “that documented slices of everyday life during a time when the Hawaiian Kingdom was n the threshold of annexation by the United States.” This valuable collection of photos has been digitized and can be viewed on the Ulukau website under Wings/Photography:
This exhibit is on loan from the Chaminade University Library. It was developed by Dr. Al Lum for Chaminade’s 50th Anniversary in 2005.
Mahalo to Dr. Lum (Historian), Darrell Asato (Designer), and Sharon LaPage (Librarian) for their help with this traveling exhibit.
Free & open to public during building hours
Library Services, Mānoa Campus
- Waikiki Parc Features Ashley Huang
- Diversity and Equity Initiatives
- "Diminishing Sequence" by Kamran Samimi
- Our Musical Heritage: The Royal Hawaiian Band
- Na Pa'i Ki'i o Brother Bertram
- Papa ‘Ike Hawai‘i - Hawaiian Culture
- SALAMANCA, SPAIN! -Applications now being accepted for faculty led summer study