Systemwide Events Calendar
Great Comets: What Makes Them So Great?January 31, 7:30pm - 9:30pm
Manoa Campus, Art Building Auditorium
Dr. Alan Fitzsimmons from Queen's University Belfast (Northern Ireland) will speak at this Frontiers of Astronomy Community Event. Once a decade, a truly spectacular comet is visible even through the bright city lights. This year, we may see two of them. Historically, these appearances have induced both fear and wonder. In modern times, the wonder remains, and scientists use them to gain new insights into the nature of comets and the history of our solar system. While we cannot do anything about how often they appear, new facilities such as the Pan-STARRS telescope on Maui can give us advance warning about when they will arrive.
But what makes a comet "great" anyway? Come along and find out.
Institute for Astronomy, Manoa Campus
- Highlighted dates have scheduled events.
- Select the date to view all events for that day.
- Scholarships Available!
- Lineage : A Family Tree of Printmakers
- Diversity and Equity Initiative Grants for Spring 2013
- 35th Annual Graduate Art Exhibition
- The White Rose : nonviolent resistance against the Nazi regime
- Biggest Loser Challenge Sign-Up
- Arts Exhibition: Ainu Treasures: A Living Tradition in Northern Japan
- Learn Ukulele in 5 Weeks