Paying for Your Education

Learn More

Office of Student Affairs
2444 Dole St.
Bachman 207
Honolulu, HI 96822

tel (808)956-8753

Transfer to a UH Campus


group of students walking

Have a question about transferring to a UH campus? Please contact your advisor or the person listed below.

Campus contacts

Internal contacts for UH faculty, staff and administrators are listed on the faculty/staff resource page.

Welcome to the University of Hawai‘i’s website for transfer students.

A transfer student is one who has earned college credit at a regionally-accredited college or university and plans to transfer to another college or university.

The UH campuses have different minimum number of credits hours that a student must have earned to be considered a transfer student.

The transfer of credits from one institution to another is directly related to the curriculum actions taking place at both the sending and receiving institution. Thus, the information on this website and its links are subject to change as the result of curriculum-related actions. It is essential that students contact an advisor/counselor early and often as they pursue their higher education.

Click on the links below for information on transferring to:

Degree Requirements

Bachelor’s degree requirements vary at each of our 4-year schools, be sure to review them early and often in your academic career.

Transferring to UH Manoa

In general, a transfer student is someone who has enrolled for college credit after leaving high school and has earned 24 UH Manoa equivalent semester credits from regionally accredited U.S. institutions. If you have earned less than 24 UH Manoa equivalent semester credits, you must submit your high school transcripts, SAT/ACT scores and college transcripts.

Transfer students who meet all admission criteria and have earned an Associate in Arts (AA) degree from a UH Community College will be admitted to UH Manoa as having fulfilled the UH Manoa general education core (foundation/diversification) requirements. Admission criteria to specific programs may vary. The student should consult with an advisor/counselor for information.

Students from UH System campuses will find a list of approved courses that fulfill general education requirements and relevant policies and procedures at Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs—Articulation website.

When applying to UH Manoa, students are admitted to a specific program, the academic department contact information for undergraduate programs lists contacts and websites for undergraduate programs.

The Ka‘ie‘ie Program is a dual-enrollment, dual-admission program for students pursuing their first, four-year undergraduate degree who are accepted at UH Manoa but choose to begin their studies at Kapi‘olani Community College.

View course requirements for selected UH Manoa undergraduate degrees.

Students from outside the UH system will find the Admission and Records Credit Transfer database helpful in determining if a course transfers and whether it has a UH Manoa equivalent course.

Transferring to UH Hilo

Transfer students should have completed 24 college level semester credit hours with a minimum 2.0 GPA. Individuals with less than 24 semester credit hours will be considered for admission if they meet the requirements for high school seniors.

Beginning Fall 1999, an AA degree from a regionally accredited U.S. community college including UH Community Colleges will satisfy the General Education (basic/area) requirements toward a Bachelor of Arts degree.

Learn more about transfer credit information from UH campuses, U.S. institutions and Pacific Region schools to UH Hilo.

Transferring to UH West O‘ahu

A student who has successfully completed at least 24 semester credits of college coursework at any campus of the University of Hawai‘i or other regionally accredited college or university with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale may be eligible for admission. Students who have already completed 12 credits with 12 credits in progress are considered in this category.

Students with an AA degree in the liberal arts from a UH Community College or other regionally accredited institutions with a GPA of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale is accepted as having completed the West O‘ahu general education requirements.

Advising sheets that outline the requirements for each degree are available on the UH West O‘ahu Academic Advising site.

Information on how courses transfer to UH West O‘ahu may be viewed at the UH Course Transfer Database.

Transferring to a UH Community College

Students who are either high school graduates (or earned a GED) or at least 18 years or older may transfer to a UH Community College regardless of the number of credits completed. Information on how courses transfer to UH Community Colleges may be viewed at the UH Course Transfer Database. The admissions site for each UH Community College provides further details.

Official transcripts from previously attended regionally accredited institutions are required only if the student desires to use previously earned credit to earn a community college degree. Transcripts may also be used to determine math and English placement or completion of prerequisite courses. Please contact a counselor at the community college campus that the student wishes to attend for more detailed information.

Courses completed at one UH Community College which fulfills a specific general education requirement may be transferred to the receiving UH Community College in a similar general education category.

Articulation Agreements among UH Campuses

Articulation agreements typically address the transfer of credit, specific courses, packages of courses, and related academic requirements from one campus to another for a specific program of study.


Policy, Report and Committees